Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2005, 04:39 AM

Default pocket pairs with an overpair on the board???

hi
i have been learning to play with the help of small stakes holdem(SSH) by miller/sklansky/malmuth. i was playing the other day i limped w 22 and floped QQ7. i couldn't find any disscusion of this in the SSH book.
i went to the library and found two books with conflicting advice on this situation. on page 84 of winning low limit hold'em by Lee it says "if the board is paired over your pocket pair you can fold at the first oppurtunity". on page 91 in play poker like the pros by hellmuth it says that you have an excellent chance of having best had and you should put in some bets and raises to get info and protect your hand.

who is right and why????

thanks
mike
Old 03-06-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: pocket pairs with an overpair on the board???

It really depends on the players, stack sizes and PF action. Probably some other variables too.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:48 AM

While a lot of the concepts in SSH are applicable to SSNL, both WLLH and SSH refer to limit games and this is the SSNL board. Are you playing NL or limit?

Also, you can pretty much ignore everything Hellmuth says.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:56 PM

if i had 22 on that board i'd check/fold, but if i had 88, i'd throw a bet at the flop and slow down if it was called. i'd also probably fold if bet into and i held 88. it's one thing to be doing the betting and another to be calling bets when you're drawing super-thin.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 PM

I agree, any pair higher than 7 is worth betting there.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While a lot of the concepts in SSH are applicable to SSNL, both WLLH and SSH refer to limit games and this is the SSNL board. Are you playing NL or limit?

Also, you can pretty much ignore everything Hellmuth says.

[/ QUOTE ]

why please?

thanks. i was playing nl and there were 5 limpers preflop and it was checked to me in middle position. someone bet behind me and i think there were two callers so i folded. i figured i was dead if anyone held a Q,7, or any other board card higher if someone paired it. i was thinking i most likley had only two outs(2,2) if nobody had a Q.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] but i am more interested in learning how to play other pockect pairs vs two overpairs on the board as i found either no help of conflicting advice in the books i looked at.

so i am hoping for a good disscussion of the different situations and what to do.
1 kk flop AA7
2 TT flop AA7
3 77 flop TT5
4 77 flop TT8
5 55 flop QQ4
you get the idea. it would be great if someone could get into some detail about their thinking on situations like this.

does anyone know of any good books that discuss this in some detail ????

i think i goofed by posting this in two different places. i am new to this so i am sorry if this was a nono
for those that are interested i posted it to "small stakes" amd "texas holdem general"

thanks
mike