Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: What Was it Like in the Old Days of Online Poker?

He's an idiot. After Lansing et. al the trolls just dont do much for me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 08:14 PM

He said his name was Ima.... Ima Chroll!
~Justin
Old 03-05-2005, 09:06 PM

I started on Planet in February of 1999. It was the first and only site open then. They had 3-6, 5-10 and 10-20 limit holdem. That's it. You bought in with your credit card and were good to go.

No waiting lists so if the games(sometimes game)were full you hovered your mouse in the lobby waiting for someone to leave. Fastest one when someone left got the seat.

Software was stone age by today's standards, disconnects were plentiful and everybody worried about being cheated. If you admitted here or at RGP that you played online you were flamed as an idiot. It wasn't "real" poker.

The games were incredibly soft at first. Better than B&M games at the same limits. 6 or 7 seeing the flop in a raised pot was common at 3-6. That lasted less than a year and then other sites started opening(Paradise, Delta, Highland's Club, Poker Spot, etc.).

New sites attracted more players which of course attracted all the poker junkies from here and RGP (note:RGP then was not the wasteland it is today) chasing the new online fish.
Games started to toughen up and got to the point where online 2-4 was roughly equivalent to B&M 10-20. That's pretty much where it was when the poker boom and the best television show of all time, the WPT, started.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's an idiot. After Lansing et. al the trolls just dont do much for me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't appreciate you calling me an idiot! If you have read my posts then you would know that i have won thousands of dollars. I don't think an idiot can win that much money. Behave or i will report you!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ignoring me......who cares! Do you think you look cool by letting everyone know you are ignoring me? Well you don't.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Default This moron writes like Gabyyyyy but...

Gabyyyyy was actually smarter.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...i have won thousands of dollars. I don't think an idiot can win that much money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am living proof that this statement is not true.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...i have won thousands of dollars. I don't think an idiot can win that much money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am living proof that this statement is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]That makes two of us
Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 PM

I guess it depends on what "a long time" means in this context. I have records going back to 2001 when I started playing poker again after a hiatus of a couple of years.

Back then I was playing on Planet and even then I thought the interface was clunky and awful. Little available table selection, not many sites to choose from - it was much harder to find a good game.

Before that, in the mid to late '90s I played on the IRC (internet relay chat) server from Todd Mummert. here is a link to some info about that game.

The IRC server was hard to use because it was just scrolling text. Fortunately someone wrote a front end graphical interface for it to make it more user friendly. It was likely the first real time internet poker game going. Even though it was play money, the players were fairly serious. You could only replenish your $1000 bankroll once a day and the game was 10/20, so it was easy to go broke and have to wait if you didn't know what you were doing. Also, if you accumulated a certain amount, you could play in the more prestigous pot limit game.

I was still just a bit more than a kitchen table poker hack at the time, but learned some things in that game. There were some good players that later went on to make it big that started there.

One of the interesting things about IRC is that there was an observer bot recording all the hand history which is now online at the IRC Poker Database which contains more than 10 million hands. I'll have to dig around in there and find some of my old hands; I had a few different screen names there. This database was used to make the current Poki bot.

Even back then, there were bots. There were channels for games on IRC which were no bots allowed, and others which were a mix of human and bot players. One of the ways that I was motivated to play tighter was having to listen to things like "call two bets cold with KT in middle position AAmaz0n? Bwahahaha!" from r00lbot who had some automated chat built in along with playing the game. It was bad enough having the stupid bot kick my ass, but listening to him make fun of me was far worse. I think that r00lie was the best bot at the time, but there were some others both good and not so good that were trying different stategies.

In a lot of ways the IRC server was ahead of its time. There were GUIs written for it for windows, mac and unix so it was cross platform unlike most sites today.
More IRC info

Shauna