Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Default What Was it Like in the Old Days of Online Poker?

To anybody who has been playing on-line poker for a long time, what was it like in the old days?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: What Was it Like in the Old Days of Online Poker?

check out the archives here
Old 03-05-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To anybody who has been playing on-line poker for a long time, what was it like in the old days?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing at Party around 3 yrs ago. There were only 2-3 2/4 hold'em tables running most of the time and I often played with the same people and even got to know a few of them fairly well. Definitely a lot different than it is now.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:00 PM

I played on Planet Poker and then Paradise (so must be about 5 years ago) for a couple weeks. I was scared to death that I was going to lose my $200 investment because the site was going to close down, so every night when I won, I would cashout. I was playing mostly stud at the time. There was usually one game at the limit I wanted.

I remember playing $4/$8 and getting rolled-up eights in a hand that had 5 callers.........$200 pot that I won (and then I cashed out all but my original $200). When I lost that $200 in a game a day or two later I figured it was rigged, I mean, how could I lose $200 in a $4/$8 game? Doh!

FWIW, I couldn't tell you what the rake was - I didn't care, just wanted to try online, and didn't come back for three and a half years..........

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 07:05 PM

I played online when I was in college, mostly in 2000. I don't know if that counts as the "old days". At the time, Paradise was really the only major site. Planet also existed but they were very small and sucked (some things never change), and there weren't any others that I knew of. The main difference is that there were no tournaments and no pot limit/ no limit games. There was limit holdem, stud and omaha. The biggest game they had was 20/40. The software was actually very similar to now. I don't play on Paradise anymore, but playing on Party, the basic UI design, with the lobby and the waitlists and the checkboxes to act in turn, the hand histories and the everything else was pretty much the same. One thing that was different is that you could use your credit card rather than having to use neteller.

I remember when they first invented the sit n go. At the time I think they were just called one table tournaments, I think. They only had limit holdem and they only ran them during certain times of day. This wasn't because of lack of demand; it was because they were mainly a promotional thing and they really wanted people playing the ring games. Again, they were very similar to now with the 5+2, 10+1, and so forth up to the 100+9 ones. I used to wait for 3pm (or whatever time it was) to roll around so I could play some sit n gos. This is when I was new to poker and I didn't do well in the ring games, but I had some good results in those sit n gos. good times.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM

It was just another way to gamble instead of blackjack for me. It was about 6 years ago when PlanetPoker was the only site. There was usually 2 or 3 players on the site and I'd buyin with $200 and play 5/10HU. Obviously I didn't do very well. A few months later Paradise opened and got a nice player base.

outs
Old 03-05-2005, 07:47 PM

I remember playing at the very first online poker site ( Paradise Poker) about 8 years ago. I was the best player there, I would always win big each night. Then the players accused me of cheating because i was so good and the stopped playing me. I left the site and they eventually closed down because i left. I don't know if they started back up yet.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you didnt miss much
Old 03-05-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? This guy is pure comedy gold!