Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Moving up, whats my incentive?

Sounds like you had your mind made up long ago, and decided to pick a fight on this board over it.

[ QUOTE ]
For all those who didnt insinuate that I am a lier. I have decided to move up to 5/10 the next time I'm in vegas. My bankroll is plenty big enough now. (started w/$40) And by the way, I'm not interested in 'sustaining' that kind of profit at a 3/6. I was simply using that as an example of how good a table can be. It seems to be the norm in Vegas more than a rarity based on my very limited time there. I am by no means making a statement of how good or bad my play is. I would never do that in this sea of critics. If all the players at the upper levels are 'grinding' out 1 BB per hour they are probably better card players than me. I dont need that kind of play when I'm in vegas for 3 days. I need the players that stay to the end because they have big egos or they just like to gamble. I strive to take my ego out of the game until after I'm done playing, then, I can gloat to myself later about that great hand, etc. That answer about "bigger stakes = more money, Nuff said", is ridiculous. Doesnt address my question at all.
There may not be an answer other than to play at a level I'm comfortable at that is still loaded with loose, uneducated players.
Accident [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2005, 04:44 AM

It is amazing how much time we have wasted with this player. We all know his claims are "true" but amatuerish, but we're treating this like a... "serious" (for lack of a better word) post.

Of course I mean no offense to the poster, though I'm sure it doesn't sound like that.

My problem with these low limit tables (or tables that play like low limit tables) is that the variance is so high. Sure, you made 30BB today, but you'll lose 35BB tomorrow. Hell, my variance at 15-30 is insane . But it is even higher at tables that are ripe.

My point? Fish are so frustrating not because they give you money hand over fist, but because they can and will win much more than you in the short run. And when you sit with fish, your variance is higher, though your long term winnings are also higher.

Anyway, good luck to you, Accident.

CSC
Old 03-05-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not actually making $50/hr. No one can at 3/6 (playing live).

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe my math was off. I bought $100 in chips and cashed in $250 in chips after 3 hours. That doesnt count drink tips and dealer tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

$250-100 = $150 profit.

$150/3hr = $50/hr.

Sure looks like $50/hr to me. In fact, your true hourly rate is even higher than that, since you used your poker chips for tipping. Looks like a lot of jealousy on this board from the higher limit players grinding out 1bb/hr.

To answer your question, $10/20 looks like it would probably be a paycut for you unless you found an amazingly easy game. Might want to try $30/60, though. If you make just 1bb/hr there, you'll make $60/hr - that $10/hr adds up over time.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not actually making $50/hr. No one can at 3/6 (playing live).

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe my math was off. I bought $100 in chips and cashed in $250 in chips after 3 hours. That doesnt count drink tips and dealer tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, Diablo clears everything up. Thanks El Diablo I really didn't see the whole tip thing before.
$250-100 = $150 profit.

$150/3hr = $50/hr.

Sure looks like $50/hr to me. In fact, your true hourly rate is even higher than that, since you used your poker chips for tipping. Looks like a lot of jealousy on this board from the higher limit players grinding out 1bb/hr.

To answer your question, $10/20 looks like it would probably be a paycut for you unless you found an amazingly easy game. Might want to try $30/60, though. If you make just 1bb/hr there, you'll make $60/hr - that $10/hr adds up over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Diablo for providing clarity in this matter. My jealousy really clouded my judgement and I didn't factor in the whole tip thing.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is amazing how much time we have wasted with this player. We all know his claims are "true" but amatuerish, but we're treating this like a... "serious" (for lack of a better word) post.

Of course I mean no offense to the poster, though I'm sure it doesn't sound like that.

My problem with these low limit tables (or tables that play like low limit tables) is that the variance is so high. Sure, you made 30BB today, but you'll lose 35BB tomorrow. Hell, my variance at 15-30 is insane . But it is even higher at tables that are ripe.

My point? Fish are so frustrating not because they give you money hand over fist, but because they can and will win much more than you in the short run. And when you sit with fish, your variance is higher, though your long term winnings are also higher.

Anyway, good luck to you, Accident.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that 1st part is an insult. But the 2nd part is exactly what I was fishing for. It's how I feel about the 2/4 tables, but I didnt want to cloud the discussion w/my own conclusions. I wasn't trying to instigate anything. I was suprised at some of the insults cast my way for asking a simple question. A tad elitest. Thanx for the encouragement from everyone however. I especially love the remark about how I can't play at a 10/20. I only have one critic that I listen too now. It's my bankroll. Started with 40 and now have 1500. Paid for 2 trips to vegas too. No adding, and havnt gone broke yet. I dont count tips either. It dictates what level I play at. I move up as it gets bigger, just like some book said. Maybe Doyle's. I just wonder if you guys are as good as you claim with such huge variance. How can you sustain a bankroll w/out adding to it constantly with 'real world' money like from an inheritance or a job? The most I've lost in one session was $200 at a 4/8. I was there 4 hours. I played really badly at the Mandalay bay. I felt crushed. But it's nowhere near 35BB an hour. When a table is really fishy, I revert back to the Sklansky,Malmuth, Miller book "Small Stakes Holdem". Since reading that one, I adjust my play to the players. No more loses. Those guys really have good advice.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think your sample size is a bit small?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is. But thats all I have. Vegas is 5 hours in airports and planes away. I should have clarified that I only get there 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't beat a 10-20 game for 1.5 big bets per hour.

I would stick to the 3-6. You'll lose less there.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I havent lost ANYTHING there, but thanx for the advice.
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2005, 01:06 PM

This is one of my favorit threads yet! Way 2funny! I know you won't take my advice but your sample is way to small!
You can be the best player in the world - you will not pound a table of fish every day like you are assuming!
Any way GL 2 U!