Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: what\'s your move?

I've been on bad streak my last 100-200 S+G's - going to play $100s until I get my groove back.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:58 AM

if you want some real relaxation, try some 55s between 11pm and 2am east coast time.

serious though, post some extended chunks of some "almsot ran" tournaments.

citanul
Old 03-05-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold this one, K4o beats a random hand but if villian is a decent player he should call with about 40-50% of hands, plus if the table is tight you can always push any two next hand.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
What is the "decent" villan's calling range if pushed?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like this post. i like it a lot in fact.

now, let's say that you're the big stack, and you've seen the "mr moron sb" fold hand 1. do you ever do the "lockout push"?

i've been thinking more and more about this, and it seems like as big stack, you can make a ton of plays by stealing in spots where another guy was going to steal, and it's obvious he was going to steal. i do it sometimes, but clearly not enough. meh. pretty obvious stuff, but i'm starting to get in the rambly kind of mood, as can be told by me 20 posts in this thread so far.

citanul

edit: but yeah, back to why i like this post so much, it's because it's all about stepping back for a second, letting tempers cool down a sec, and then knifing them in the back when they're not looking. i like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please elaborate on teh "lockout push"? Does this mean steal w/ any 2 as the big stack? alittle help
Old 03-05-2005, 02:11 PM

I was thinking about making a seperate thread on the "lockout" push soon, since I've been thinking about it a ton. I'm not going to claim that this is "all that original" or anything like that, but here goes a quick start before I go to lunch.

Scenario, happens all the time, I'm hoping not to just me:

4 handed, you're the short stack, 2 evenish stacks, and a slightly larger stack to a very large stack. Hey, it even works if there's 2 pairs of stacks, one larger than the other. At some moment, there's often a spot where you've been folding for a while, and you're looking ahead, and you know that your last truly good spot to push is going to be on a certain hand. But there's someone who gets to act before you on that hand, and he decides to push/raise instead!

Often, the case is that there are two decent stacks, neither of whom want to gamble, in the blinds, and you are on the button. The utg player doesn't have to have much of a hand, or even much of a stack, his play just needs to make it so that you cannot push with any two, having to yield to his raise/push.

I'm sure that others know that sinking feeling of "aw, crap" when your great steal shot that you're going to need to maintain fold equity gets ripped away from you, and suddenly you're left with the only options of pushing any two on the next hand, or playing through/on the blinds.

I think that in this situation, the utg player gets a huge "gap boost" from the stack positions, above and beyond other considerations. So utg can push/raise even weaker than he usually would, I think... Mostly the important thing is that the blinds should be unlikely to call, the other two stacks can be a variety of setups.

I guess that the point of the particular play is sort of not detailed, but to spell out my thinking one more step, it's to make the short stack totally screwed NEXT orbit, if he doesn't win his utg hand.

Alright, I'm gonna take off to brunch and a movie, I'll be back later to see 50 "duh"s written following this post.

citanul
Old 03-05-2005, 02:37 PM

i don't know how this post is so long....

i push this every single time.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:36 PM

I think finding the correct answer here is finding out how tight is the big blind with blind defense?

Obviously if he's loose, this is a -1.4BB hand, and since he called with J3s, he's even looser and will can with more than 64% of his hands.