Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $2/$4. $600 max buy in. Which line do you prefer?
2 fish 5 OKs 2 sharks + you 3 5.88%
2 fish 2 OKs 5 sharks + you 0 0%
5 fish 2 OKs 2 Shark + you 13 25.49%
3 fish 3 OKs 3 sharks + you 5 9.80%
9 sharks + you 0 0%
9 fish + you 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Design review for the Pharaoh\'s Club Paulson chips

I do very much appreciate both your creativity and your effort.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 PM

I just received a sample of the 2005 Bond Paulsons, and I really like the quality of the Paulson chip itself. I am definetely in for a set of Paulsons with the Pharaoh theme. I like the #2 option as well. Keep up the great work and momentum Ten.

Scott
Old 03-02-2005, 09:51 PM

I was looking at paulsons on some web page today(big suprise) and they had some of the Vineyards chips pictured there for sale, altho most were sold out. WHat I realized is that the thing that I liked most about them is the fact that the plastic sticker(?) logo is clear allowing the base chip materials color to show through. Of all the chips I have the truely easy to distinguish ones have a base color that goes from edge to edge. Best examples are the Vineyard paulsons, the Egyptian chipcos, and the Oyster chipcos (just a small blue logo in the middle, but mostly monochromatic.) If you could get Paulson, or whoever to use the clear 'thingy' (dang, whats it called?) for the inlay, that would be awesome. And dont forget the custom mold for sure!!
Put me down for at least 1 chip and at most 1000.
Accident [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 12:47 AM

The Vineyard inlays aren't clear at all. The inlay background color is a gradient from the base chip color to another color.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like that the white and orange get dirty fast, but it's gonna happen with any light colored clay. I had a grand idea to make my $1000 chip "gold" instead of dayglo orange, but it would be a bonus that I'm willing to accept not getting.
Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten,

Actually I have a set of Le Cove (that is also my picture of the 1000's) and I have a small stack of all the colors that I have been shuffling for a couple months, and the white and yellow Le Cove STILL look brand new. On the other hand the new James Bond's (white and yellow) that ive been shuffling for a week, look horrilbe. Im not sure if its because they are "new" and there is some kind of period where the colors will rub off, as the Le Cove have been sitting in boxes for a couple years. Or if they are somehow made different and no matter how old they are, the light colors are gonna look nasty after a couple of uses. That is why I expressed my opinion to keep the 2 light colors at the top and bottom, so people can still get all the denominations in between to satisfy cashgames and tournaments, and still opt to not get the 2 light colors.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:35 AM

our next option if they dont cut the inlay for us.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Yes, it's an option, but we'd have the get the color JUST right, or it looks cheap. At taht point, full round inlays might look classier. We'll see.

Ten

[ QUOTE ]

our next option if they dont cut the inlay for us.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM

Ten:

where are we at here? what steps come next?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ten:

where are we at here? what steps come next?

[/ QUOTE ]

jojo: At this point I confirmed the direction I want to go. I may tinker with a couple more designs. I definately agree with the posters that #2 is the direction I wanted. Traditional, but with a flair of modern. I let that designer know a lot more of what I wanted than I did the other two. That wasn't "fair" but it was the only way to see if my thoughts would translate well to you guys. As always, I want to keep complete control over the design, but with input and suggestions from the group members.

I really like the design from #1, which came close to my vision with very little direction given by me.

#3: I told this guy NOTHING. It was unfair, but I had seen his work and really wanted to see what he could show me with nothing more than "Give me something Egyptian." When you come down to it, it wasn't unfair in the sense that his design could have taken 75% of the vote too, you never know.

But I was gunning for the direction of #2 and didn't tell any of you this. I am pleased that nearly everyone agrees. I'll probably have the other designers have a go at the chip again since everything is on the table. I've written out a set of criteria for each of them, and we'll see what happens in the next couple of days.

Once the final design is in place, I'd like to tell everyone about each of these artists. Normally I wouldn't be talking about the graphic artists, but these three happen to be posters on this forum. I think credit and accolades should be given to each of them, but it should be done once this process is complete. For many reasons, anonymity is best until a design is chosen.

Ten
Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 AM

Wow Ten.

I have a ton of thoughts in my head, so I hope I get them all out for you here.

1 - GREAT initial concept. I love #2 as well. The only artistic suggestion is to change the font of the denomination.

2 - The idea of the differently shaped inlays for each denomination is spot-on. That is something fist saw in 1993 on my first Vegas trip and would LOVE to have that in a home set.

3 - I like Paulson's in general, but I don't like the colors on the JBs and from all reports they fade/rub off/dirty up quickly. I know it's not a prime mover for you Ten, but my 2 cents.

4 - Even more than the Paulsons, I am in love with ASM HorseHeads. If you could negotiate 100k+ chips and get them to bend rules as well (such as scalloped, saw, etc. inlays or different edge spot set ups) I'd be all over that.

5 - The Le Cove 1000 gold chip is the bomb!

6 - Despite what a few others have said, if you could do a custom mold... well, that would be amazing for a home set as well.

The last thought is - and yes, this is over the top - but what if you could do a custom mold (perhaps saying Pharoah's and then have an Ahnk or Eye of Horus around the edge) with custom shaped inlays, custom edge spots, and custom colors on all chips?

Yeah, it's over the top, but WOW! Either way, I'm in on this for 500.