Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do I rule?
Ya master, you really went out with a bang. 7 35.00%
It's about time u left u fat troll 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Very puzzling hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($366.80)
Button ($279.15)
SB ($314.70)
BB ($220.20)
UTG ($338.25)
UTG+1 ($200)
MP1 ($99.95)
MP2 ($40)
MP3 ($48.85)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $8, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($21) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10.

Turn: ($41) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $60</font>, Hero calls $40.

River: ($161) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $260.25 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $421.25
Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Very puzzling hand

The screenname of the player UTG is "Rata del Rio". VPIP 18% and PFR 6.5%.

At the turn I was almost CERTAIN that he had KK (raised UTG, checks, smooth calls, then reraises to 3 times what I bet).

I don't think it's possible for him to have rags because of the 260$ bet he made AFTER I smooth called his $40 raise and a double gutshot straight showed up.

Also, I don't think it's possible for him to have KQ or AQ because of his raise preflop on a 9 handed game.

So my read is: he slowplays his kings, and doesnt even look at the board, hipnotized by his kings, and then goes ALL IN at the river, never imagining they could be broken.

He doesnt show cards and refuses to say wich cards he had.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:37 AM

One other thing, did I play this hand wrong? If so, why?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:02 AM

yah i'd guess KK for the reasons you stated.

As for how you played it, I like it, but when you raise do you always only raise half the pot? If you do that's ok, but if not, I go 2/3 to a full pot bet on flop and turn.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Yeah, it sure looks like KK or JJ (more like KK). If that's the case, he terribly misplayed the river, but he could be holding A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Why did you underbet the flop? You're going to get action from AA and AK here, as well as possibly KK and JJ (although a lot of players would slowplay here). I know you're trying to look weak, but it may be a bit too obvious. Just make a normal bet.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 AM

Bet more on the flop. Then you wouldn't worry about 99 or other marginal hands.

On the turn, you have to assume that if you call, he'll follow up the check raise with a big river bet. Were you planning to call an all-in if the river was a blank? I think you need to make a read on the turn. If you decide he's got AK or AA more often than KK or JJ, call and then call/bet the river. Otherwise fold now and save $40. If you think he's semibluffing with AQ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or some other draw, reraise the checkraise.

By the time it gets to the river, I think your fold is good. The only hands you're beating are overplayed AA or AK, and you're behind KK, JJ, AQ. If he's a decent player, he has to put you on at least 2 pair, possibly as good as JJ, and unless you've been playing very weak tight, he has to think there's a reasonable chance you'd call with a set. Thus a bluff by him is -EV. If the river was the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I think you'd have to call.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 PM

I agree that my biggest mistake was calling the turn raise WITHOUT being ready to call a river bet (if the river came a 3 I would still have probably folded to an allin. Called another 60$ bet at most) because I had this idea fixed in my head that he had KK.

But I also thought that since I was calling a large raise on the river, he would be to scarred to bluff at me and POSSIBLY check it to me
Old 03-04-2005, 02:38 PM

r3,

I voted for KK or JJ just because ti strikes me that's how a bad player would play it. But -

when you call the pfr with 77, you are playing for set value. If you fear set over set, you're not maximizing your earn. I would've bet more on the flop; villain has 170 bets, and you have him covered. The only way you're going to stack him is to bet more!

On the turn I'd bet more too. His c/r is rather alarming, but sure, he could have KK or JJ. What about AA? AK? KJ? (If he's a looser raiser?) QT is he's very loose raiser?

If you think he has a set on the turn you should fold to the c/r.Calling the turn and folding to the blank (ten) is bad business, unless you put him on AQ or QQ, which are VERY unlikely. (OR KQ, I guess, which is possible, but still very unlikely)
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM

In this hand the most important question to me is what you think he thought you had. It strikes me that you are representing weakness. And so he either thinks you are weak or that you have a monster. If you think he thinks the latter, then you are in a tough situation. If he is tricky, his raise on the turn says I know you've gotta set and I can beat it (whether he actually could or not, we'll never know). His river bet confirms this read. If he is straightforward, then he has a set and a laydown on the turn is correct.

If, however, he really thinks you are weak, then I can see him playing any number of premium hands this strongly.

In any case, you thought he had kk early on. Given that you felt that strongly about his holding, I think you should feel confident in the read.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:10 AM

he probably had a K-rag. he went all-in to scare you off, if he was so confident in what he had, he would have wanted you to call and would have made a smaller bet to get more money from you. but i'm not very good so don't trust me.