Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Default At what point do you move beyond SSHE advice??

I understand that Ed's advice is supposed to take you through at least 6/12 B&M games but at what point do you need to adopt a new approach?? At some point in the future, if I continue to do well at 4/8 & 6/12 live, I would think I'd be ready to take a shot at Commerce's 9/18 or other 10/20 B&M games. Is it still o.k. to primarily follow SSHE or do I need to maybe move on to HEFAP or other texts (and please supply titles, if so! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) Thanks...
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: At what point do you move beyond SSHE advice??

Well SSHE is great for any limit game against bad, loose-passive players. There are plenty of higher limit live games that have these same types of players, and the advice in SSHE applies perfectly to that.

At a table of better, thinking, tighter players, the advice in Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players tends to be much more useful. In fact I highly reccomend that book to you in general because even at the low limits you occasionally run into a good player and it's useful to know how to deal with them.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:37 PM

Ed's advice, along with the advice in all 2+2 books, are good baselines for your play, but you need to adapt your play to the table that you are at and situations that you are in.

btw - It is always a good thing to review books and notes. You'll always find some interesting tidbit hiding in there.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM

It applies very well to the Party 15/30, the Borgata 20/40, and the Foxwoods 10/20. You should still read HEPFAP, however. Andyfox has a good post in Mid/High today where he quotes Clark as saying HEPFAP should be titled "Hold 'Em Poker Against Advanced Players."
Old 03-04-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Hold 'Em Poker Against Advanced Players."

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I know I went to read this about 5 months ago and put it down after reading the intro (something like) "the context of this book will not be useful if you're not playing against thinking players" (I'm sure I butchered that quote, but I know that was the jist)
Old 03-04-2005, 05:28 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Recognizing table texture and where/when to apply it situationally is a good start. Basically, imo, if you have to ask what tables you apply it to due to limit size, you may be lacking in recognizing said textures.

You should get HEPFAP anyways so you can be prepared for when a tougher type table texture/or some tougher situations come around. The more you read, the more prepared you will be along with being able to spot things/changes happening much quicker.

b
Old 03-04-2005, 05:34 PM

You have to read HEFAP far before you need it for your entire table. If you play 3/6 on Party during the day plenty of situations come up in shorthanded pots against only other TAGs that are better covered in HEFAP than in SSH.

It's a gradual trip. And then you can get flashbacks. When you sit in a 40/80 game against 9 drunk conventioneers you won't play HEFAP... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]