Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: SS2: TDL Chapter is Awful

[ QUOTE ]
While the quality of the book overall may be lacking, I think almost everyone would disagree with your assessment of Negreanu's chapter. I'm sure any real player would love you sitting in their games after "dealing out a few hands" to learn how to play. Some actual criticism of the chapter would be nice, otherwise you just sound like a flamer (reputation of the poster notwithstanding).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone really need Negreanu to tell them that if you draw one and your only opponent draws two then you should bet whether you fill or not?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also have to respectfully disagree with the poster. I too have been successful with the game after reading the chapter. Especially the breakdown on hands to play pre 1st draw. Could you maybe tell us some things you have learned about the game, "dealing out a few hands" that Daniel did not mention in the chapter.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that I dealt out a few hands and learned any dark secrets...I learned just what Negreanu wrote...aside from some details...It may well be the best thing in print on Triple Draw Lowball but rest assured it will not be the final word.

I boobed by using the word "awful". I just meant it was not all that enlightening and even with this caveat it is possible for players to learn from it and improve their games.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
give us an example please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dealt out three or four hands and it was obvious that in Triple Draw Lowball you are drawing at the nuts. In this respect, it is similar to Omaha High. Did anyone really need Negreanu to put this down in print for them?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dealt out three or four hands and it was obvious that in Triple Draw Lowball you are drawing at the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Of course this is not true. Making a wheel is rare, and almost every hand you are making close decisions. For example, against some players, you might raise with an 85 if they bet into you after the 3rd draw.

There are many aspects of winning 2-7 that are not obvious. Negreanu's chapter made me realize some of these things.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM

2-7 single draw lowball, (aka Kansas City Lowball) has been around for years, but triple draw is pretty new, I guess.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In football, a commentator's analysis may seem reasonable (good) if we know little about the sport ourselves. But his analysis of baseball may seem very weak (or naive) if we are very knowledgeable about the game.

When we are ignorant of a subject, we are more likely to be impressed by someone's analysis (if it seems reasonable). If we're unfamiliar with the subject matter it is harder to pick out any faults in someone else's analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not need to be a mathematician to know 2+2=4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Your original post suggests one could find better ways to play certain hands. I was saying that people who don't know much about TDL may not see this (if it is in fact true) because of their unfamiliarity.

My point was that many people that rave about the chapter probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was actually mediocre (because so little has been written about TDL).
Old 03-04-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2-7 single draw lowball, (aka Kansas City Lowball) has been around for years, but triple draw is pretty new, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing it since the 60's. It seems to be a niche game that comes and goes. I'd never seen it played as a limit game until recently, however.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was that many people that rave about the chapter probably wouldn't be able to tell if it was actually mediocre (because so little has been written about TDL).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in complete agreement with this point.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dealt out three or four hands and it was obvious that in Triple Draw Lowball you are drawing at the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Of course this is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol nothing. Negreanu states as much and it is obvious. Though, I am not arguing that to maximize profits you have to exploit the playing styles of your opponents.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing it since the 60's. It seems to be a niche game that comes and goes. I'd never seen it played as a limit game until recently, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

kc lowball seems like a pretty boring game if played as a fixed limit.