Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Did I Play This Right?

Local bar MTT with idiots. I'm UTG with AKs early in the tournament; yet to play a hand. I limp. UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, UTG+3 raises three times the size of the bb, fold, fold, CO goes all in, after about three minutes of thought, I go all in. Everyone calls. UTG+2 shows KQs, UTG+3 shows KJo, CO shows J10o. I end up winning with a flush.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Did I Play This Right?

It's not horrible but if they are as bad as you say (which they are based on what they called you with). You can get away here early if you don't feel like gambling. I don't like the open limp I would open raise, but end result was the same.

What are payouts, how much it cost, how long are levels, etc. more info would help. Absent this info it looks ok I guess.

Next time you post leave out the results you'll get more thoughtful answers.

-sloth
Old 03-04-2005, 02:30 PM

play big hands fast against idiots

you played it fine
Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 PM

If they're idiots, there's a good chance that you'll have a lot of people limping with about anything just so they can see the flop. I'd never limp UTG in these conditions.

That set aside, your play is OK.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:41 PM

The only reason I limped here is because of how bad they are. They look at their cards and decide if they are going to play to the river. Pre-flop raise has little equity, after all 'you don't even know what you have until after the flop.' This is the mantra of all these players. I almost always limp with drawing hands in this tournament until the blinds go up. I took second and won twenty five dollars on a zero buy in. First and second pay out seventy five and twenty five. Start out with 4k in chips blinds at 25 and 50. So it is pretty deep stacked, which I hate. Sadly, this is the only place around here to get a game.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Aside from the time conciderations for little money why would you hate a deep stacked tourney against a school of fish?

-sloth
Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM

If I knew I played against bad players, I would not make that call. Why put all my money in when you will be the dog (as you where here).

And yes, you where a dog, in the sense that you had more than 50% chance of getting kicked out.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Not very much fun (I can basically play nothing but AA, KK, QQ, AK, and AQs for an hour and a half), not incredibly profitable, they are all irritating frat boys, can't bluff at all, etc. I am fairly successful there. Always number one or two (my friend plays with me, he is also a pretty solid player) in points and usually in the money. It is just not an incredibly stimulating or fun tournament.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Yeah a dog to the table but getting 4 to 1 on his money. It really comes down to how big of a dog is he?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:02 PM

They're fish. You have probably the best hand. You NEED to raise pre-flop. Raising pre-flop is not just about making them fold. If they call you with a worse hand (and you WANT them to call), it's a +EV situation for you.

After showing some good hands after you raise pre-flop, they'll start to understand that calling with junk is not a good idea, but until then you should make them pay for their bad plays.