Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 AM

Default How do I improve my discipline?!?!

Ok, I'm a pretty intelligent guy and have studied all the books, memorized all the odd %'s for common situations, can calculate pot/implied odds on the fly, have been using Poker Tracker for awhile now, etc. etc.

When I am "on" I win consistently, I guess due to the fact I play against mostly idiots (I play low limit and some small buy in SNG's). The problem is I don't STAY on. Example, I'll call when I KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW I should fold... (flop comes Q/J/x, I've got AJ and someone raises behind me). I'll fold this situation 98 times out of 100 but the two times I don't are a serious leak. I replay these hands in Poker Tracker later and am like "WTF is wrong with me?"

These lapses in discipline really cut into my winnings. I'm up over $1100 the past 2 months (which is a good bit considering my limits) but it could be so much more. I've thrown away at least $400 playing hands I had NO business playing (middle pairs, overcards all the way to showdown, chasing non-nut draws).

Are there any tips or techniques anyone uses here to stop this nonsense? This has to be a common problem among new poker players right?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: How do I improve my discipline?!?!

Try one of those shock collars, every time you make a bad call click the buzzer, this should take care of your problem.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 AM

It sounds like youve already know what some of your problems are so why dont you just stop doing those. Also post some specific hands where you have questions about your play so it will be easier to identify any leaks.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 AM

Here's some quick advice to get you started:
[ QUOTE ]
Example, I'll call when I KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW I should fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any tips or techniques anyone uses here to stop this nonsense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try taping your finger to the fold button. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 AM

i heard someone had a "5 second rule" or something like that, meaning before he makes any big river plays he always pauses and htinks about it before clicking without thinking
Old 03-04-2005, 08:35 AM

Atlast a good tip! I have the same problem except it is more like 10% of the time.

Ohh the buzzer thing was nice too but I think I am to much of a chicken for that one!

(And I hate to say this but this question should probably be asked in the psychology forum too. I think there is people that can anser this question better there.)
Old 03-04-2005, 08:42 AM

Ianco I think that you tottaly have missed what the post was about "Discipline". He asked what he should do, so that he always do what he know is right. Not to find what he always do wrong.

Read the post again.. Do you see what I mean?!

An exampel is that if a player have a gambling problem and he know that he should quit playing but he do not now how. Then it probably wont help much that you tell him that again...

Have fun! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am "on" I win consistently, I guess due to the fact I play against mostly idiots

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'll call when I KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW I should fold... (flop comes Q/J/x, I've got AJ and someone raises behind me). I'll fold this situation 98 times out of 100 but the two times I don't are a serious leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have holes.

-Michael
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 AM

Imagine the hand you are playing is the only hand you are going to play all day long. Every hand you play today is going to go exactly the same way this hand is.

Also, after each hand remember to take a brief moment to consider your play. Folding hands is an active endeaver. There is a reward and upside everytime you do it correctly. Money not lost is money earned.

This is a game of making choices and you need to be pleased everytime you make the right one.