Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Default forcing a confrontation

$24 freeze-out mtt with 12 minute levels. 110 players now down to 8 with 1200/2400 blinds. Everyone has around 30k chips, one or two have 20k and one has 40k. I have 30k. A half-decent raise is 25% of your stack so most people are folding to raises and we're not seeing many flops. No-one has a clear lead and it feels like we're just pushing chips around the table. Blinds are soon going up to 1600/3200.

I won't go into details of the exact hand I played because it's not important, basically I purposely went all-in on a coinflip. My reason for doing this was that at the moment nothing is happening but if I had a 60k stack I could steal a lot more often, have some leverage against the weaker stacks and some backup if things go wrong.

The trouble I had playing at this table was everyone had roughly equal stacks and they all seemed kinda weak-tight so no-one was running things. We were currently just waiting for two good hands to clash most likely preflop.

The other option is to just steal more with 30k. A standard raise is 7200 which is 25% of my stack... If one of the other 30k stacks re-raises all-in I don't like the odds for folding or for calling.

I realise that this perhaps depends on edges only I can estimate for myself, but I'm also wondering are there any gaping holes or subtle flaws in my reasoning? Does it at least seem reasonable to anyone else?
Old 03-03-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: forcing a confrontation

Short version:

Given that I was better than most of the players at the table, I want your opinions on how much more of an edge is:

A. Having a 20BB stack vs 6 other players have 10BB stacks.
over
B. Having a 10BB stack vs 7 other players with 10BB stacks.

(And blinds are going up soon so 10BB will become 7.5bb)