Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2002, 05:23 PM

Default raise the all-in bettor?

Here's an interesting hand from the Taj on Saturday. $50 / $100. I'm in the big blind with AK off. A raiser from middle position, called by the cutoff and small blind and I raise from the big blind. Original raiser 3-bets and all call around to me, at which point I just call.

The flop comes down 10c 9h 4s. This flop doesn't particularly thrill me but I bet out anyways after the SB checks. Original raiser (MP) raises, the cutoff folds, the small blind calls, as do I. The small blind only has enough for 1 bet left in front of him (very important).

9c on the turn, putting a pair of nines on the board. Small blind leads into the field and I pause to think of the best move. I probably pause too long as to make my train of thought obvious, but I"m just not all that fast at the tables. 18 small bets in the pot before this round. $100 to me, it seems like if I raise the player behind me will have to fold unless he has a 9 (or so I thought) so I raise it up. I'm thinking that after he folds I'll just take back the raise (since I'll be heads up with the all-in) but things don't work out. He 3-bets me.

I am convinced at this point that he is just trying to play me rather than play his cards. I figure the best he has is the same as me (AK) although maybe he has the flush draw as well.
I decide to re-raise (which makes actually no sense now but this guy had been riding me all day) and he calls.

The river is an Ace. I bet out, he calls. I show my AK, he stares at me for a while (trying to make sure everyone knows how bad I play) and flips 2 kings face up into the muck.

I tell him that if there weren't bad players like me at the tables then there'd be no money for hot shots like him to win.

the all-in bet was JcQc, which was a straightflush draw but turned into nothing.

comments in general and what, specifically, I should have done differently are welcome.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:40 PM

Default Re: raise the all-in bettor?

it seems like if I raise the player behind me will have to fold unless he has a 9...I am convinced at this point that he is just trying to play me rather than play his cards. I figure the best he has is the same as me (AK) although maybe he has the flush draw as well.

This is why you played the hand badly. You only envision scenarios in which you are ahead and aren't putting your opponent on a range of hands based on his play. The guy 4-bet pre-flop, raised the flop, and now 3-bets the turn. Don't you think it's possible that he has an overpair?

Actually, is it possible that he has anything but an overpair?

Old 12-16-2002, 10:15 PM

Default Re: raise the all-in bettor?

I think you should step down in limits until you improve your reading skills. Take Dynasty's advice and really think what other hands could be out there. All his bets and raises should tell you something. The Taj 50-100 usually has so many rocks it could be a stone quarry.