Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Raising A9 From Middle

Well, as time has passed I've started to raise more and more hands preflop. Isolating a weak limper has been a gold mine of late.

Regardless, here's a hand where even as I was going through it, I thought to myself "what the hell am I doing?" There's no debate that the hand could be played better, but how to improve this is not necessarily clear to me.

UTG was a super-lose fish. Button is only semi-loose, semi-passive (as seen by the cold-call). SB is a bit tight-passive.

Another thing to add is that I've been dabbling with 3/6 (as I attempt to move up from 2/4) and am trying to get a feel for the more aggressive game. I think sometimes that is leading me to be over-aggressive myself and to respect other's aggression less than I do at 2/4.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Raising A9 From Middle

I think the raise preflop is a little too aggressive, and that you are probably losing money in the long run doing that from MP2. You can call the flop with 4.5 outs, but fold on the turn getting only 6:1 with 3 outs.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 AM

I think raising with A9o preflop was a mistake, if it were suited it would be different. Calling with it might not even be the right call, but that depends on the game. SB plays the hand really agressive and you really didnt have the pot odds to continue playing, especially after the turn. I would have definantly got out after the turn.
But i am new to poker and will take any criticism to my suggestions.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:40 AM

To raise there PF is definately -EV as is the river raise.

SGS
Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 AM

I don't play a9o until probably the hijack seat, and that's to open.

Given how you played, you have to fold the turn.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:22 AM

Ok, two things seem clear. One, the hand was probably better off in the muck pre-flop. Two, I should have folded the turn. I can agree with both of those.

I was wondering if a turn raise might be in order? SB cold-calling my raise makes it very unlikely that he hit the flop. If I raise and he calls, what's my plan?

Also, what do you guys think of the river?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, two things seem clear. One, the hand was probably better off in the muck pre-flop. Two, I should have folded the turn. I can agree with both of those.

I was wondering if a turn raise might be in order? SB cold-calling my raise makes it very unlikely that he hit the flop. If I raise and he calls, what's my plan?

Also, what do you guys think of the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would raising the turn accomplish? I don't see you being ahead very often.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 AM

Hi Moozh,

Isolating weak limpers is a good idea and should be done. However, realize that you're in middle position, not in the CO or Button, which are the two places I'd consider raising here. Just fold and find a better spot. (I would raise A9s though.)

Also when you get 3-bet on the river here, there simply aren't many hands you can realistically hope to be beating here and you should fold there.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 03-03-2005, 05:46 AM

my mistake, I meant raise the flop.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Fold preflop. If suited this is close, if unsuited it's a clear fold.

Ugly river raise, and it still isn't good even if you fold to the three-bet. Your turn and river play are contradictory. I assume your rationale for calling the turn was that you thought the flush draw was a reasonably likely holding for SB...because otherwise the call doesn't make sense. But then the flush hits and you raise. The turn play as a standalone is player-dependent, but calling a turn bet and then raising a river diamond (even if it pairs you) is idiotic, and shows a severe lack of foresight.

Whoops.

Will