Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Greek chip design help

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another update. All 8 chips and the approximate colors.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree w/ Ten... it's comming along nicely. Is the owl to be a non-denom chip?

[ QUOTE ]
Changed the ship, but not sure which one I like better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the first ship

[ QUOTE ]
Does the Roman mold fit this theme the best? I don't really care for it, and was planning on the A mold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd use the Alpha (or Athena) mold also [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]! Just not a fan of the Roman-o.

- Fins
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree w/ Ten... it's comming along nicely.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys! I've been looking at these for so long, it's been tough for me to be objective and tell if it's working.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the owl to be a non-denom chip?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the owl will be a non-denom chip. Mostly to be used as 25¢, 50¢ or $2 depending on the cash game. (Or a $10,000 chip if I ever hold a large tournament I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Is it too plain compared to the rest? I was trying to think of something else I could do with it, but haven't been able to.

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer the first ship...
I'd use the Alpha (or Athena) mold also [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]! Just not a fan of the Roman-o.
- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with both of these. Looking at them again, I like the first ship too. And definitely the Athena mold for these chips. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2005, 12:32 PM

Well, I just got my proof from pokerchips.com based on my original ideas. I like how the pillars/ruins came out. But I am still thinking I should ask for new proofs based on what I came up with this past weekend (the pics in this thread).

Here's what they came up with. Thoughts?

Old 02-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Okay, I didn't really like what pokerchips.com came up with, but it was my own fault for being really vauge in the beginning. I just sent them the artwork I've been using this weekend.

So here's my final revision I post before I get the proofs back from the graphic designer. Promise. :P

I went back with the original ship, and found a different Chimera graphic that suits the other images a little better. I also spruced up the non-denom owl with a greek key circle. That chip seemed too lacking vs. the others.

I didn't end up using a trojan horse. The images posted were good, but I felt I needed one in profile to match the rest of the set. And now the cash chips have "real" images (including the owl), and the tournament chips are all mythological. I suppose if my cash games ever get big enough for 10-20, I could get a $20 chip and revisit the trojan horse idea. Doubtful, but here's hoping. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hopefully I'll get the final proofs within a week, and then the long long wait begins...

Old 02-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Looks good... I really like the greek key around the owl, definitely needed something like that to spruce it up. Just curious what the text says on the chips. Seems to be similar letters on each chip and was wondering if this was needed as some of the text is long?? Didn't know if it referenced "dollars" or something where that could be left off? Also, hopefully they can work on the wrap to better match the arc... also I'm assuming they will adjust the images as not to overlap the denoms like in the $25, $100 & $500.

- Fins
Old 02-21-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good... I really like the greek key around the owl, definitely needed something like that to spruce it up. Just curious what the text says on the chips. Seems to be similar letters on each chip and was wondering if this was needed as some of the text is long?? Didn't know if it referenced "dollars" or something where that could be left off? Also, hopefully they can work on the wrap to better match the arc... also I'm assuming they will adjust the images as not to overlap the denoms like in the $25, $100 & $500.
- Fins

[/ QUOTE ]
Right on all counts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] First time I've used the arch tool in photoshop. I'm sure they'll fix the wrap. Mine definitely aren't good. Or consistant. And yes, one of the things the designer told me today was that the images can't overlap. So they'll be fixing that as well. I just hope the images I've used aren't too low-res. Or if they are, that they can get high res images that are really similar.

The text is just the denominations written out in greek, yes. I liked chips I saw with wrapping text like that, but couldn't come up with a good slogan or phrase. I put the word "dollars" in there too as a few of the chips would have been too short with out it. Some are really long though. I guess we'll see how they clean them up. At that point I can decide if I should take off the dollars text.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:08 PM

Well, here's what they came up with. Not that close to my design, and I even talked to the graphic designer about everything!

Looking at these proofs though makes me think the ship should also be in silhouette form, to match the rest of the images. Any thoughts?

I am also considering pushing for the 1" inlay rather than the 7/8". I was told they don't do this anymore when I placed my order, but I just found out they did it for another recent order. Any opinions on the different inlay sizes?

Here's the proof. I think the artist is so far behind, she just put this together quickly to try and get it approved and off her desk. I think the arched greek text really makes the chip better, and will push for all the changes necessary to get them close to what I came up with (I have 8 changes so far).

Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM

Are you sure they will do a 1 inch inlay? As far as wrapped text, it would help to see a comparison between the two
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure they will do a 1 inch inlay? As far as wrapped text, it would help to see a comparison between the two

[/ QUOTE ]
I talked to them today, and they said they do still make the 1" inlay, but VERY rarely. They also said it's a different production run, and wait time for a 1" could be a long, long time.

When I first started my order in Jan, I asked them about it and was told no way. I think it you just have to be really persistant with them.

For a crude example of the wrapped text, see my hack job mock ups (the color pictures) above. When I spoke with the designer today, we decided to try the redesign with the denomination on one side only. Basically one side will have the greek text scrolled along the top, my initials scrolled at the bottom, and the large center graphic in black in the center. The opposite side will have the same text, the center picture in light gray as a backdrop, and the denomination in large red lettering in the center of the chip over the light silhouette.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 AM

I'm sure you're all tired of it, but here's (hopefully) my final revision. All the text, the graphic and the denomination was too much to fit on the chip, so the denomination is being put on one side only. Many thanks to TabascoJRC for his ASM photoshop template! I did change most of the colors to the pantone values I found on this site somewhere.

Please let me know which font you prefer for the denominations: