Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Ever win so much your just waiting for the axe to drop?

I have had the best run I have ever had playing online at FTP in Feb...up over 10,000 on a 600 buy in and am freaking out...I stay awake at night worrying whats going to happen to take this all away..is full tilt going to close and steal my money...am I going to lose it all in one hand...your thoughts?
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Ever win so much your just waiting for the axe to drop?

If thats really the way you are thinking then you might as well cash it out right now because you probably are going to lose it.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 PM

i feel the same way. I've turned a 100 dollar buyin into 1300 in the past 9 days(I know, that's not amazing... It's alot of money for me though) and I wonder if I can keep it up.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had the best run I have ever had playing online at FTP in Feb...up over 10,000 on a 600 buy in and am freaking out...I stay awake at night worrying whats going to happen to take this all away..is full tilt going to close and steal my money...am I going to lose it all in one hand...your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh...just cash out most of it and then you won't have to worry about the site stealing your money or you losing it.

Is it that you're worried that if you start losing you won't be able to stop until it's all gone?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM

I would say cash out at least 5k or so...just so you know you made a bundle, and dont have to worry. keep runnin well.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 PM

A few months ago my bank roll grew to a size that allowed me to play stakes well above my comfort zone...although I had decent success at higher levels I found like you that poker was on my brain 24/7. I cashed out all sites leaving a few hundred on Pstars and Party and took a nice 1 month holiday with the wife on my winnings.
Presently I am enjoying playing comfortable stakes again and dont think about poker at work etc anymore, nor feel the pressure to read/study/improve my game to protect my bankroll.The game has become fun again as it should be I think.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM

It's kind of interesting that I see more and more posts that are either just like this one or the exact opposite (someone on a terrible losing streak and wondering when they're ever going to win again). I just feel really strongly that the enormous popularity of poker right now has made for much more variance in bankroll swings. Poorer players are sticking around, and when there's 7 callers to every flop it's just harder to win pots. And when you do win them, they're huge. So that's what's causing all the streakiness. I guess psychologically poker is tougher now, at least for me. I'm a pessimist, so losing hits me hard. And when I win, I don't get enough satisfaction out of it because I just think I deserve it anyway. So the extra swings take a toll on me, even though I bet my overall win rate is probably higher now than it was a couple years ago when no one cared about poker.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:55 PM

umm...not to belittle your thoughts by any means, but you just won $9,400 playing a card game. i can't really relate to that problem, but....it's a problem i would love to frickin' have!

my suggestion: find a way to enjoy the money, that's what it's for...oh and pass that luck to me bastard [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say cash out at least 5k or so...just so you know you made a bundle, and dont have to worry. keep runnin well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think this is the obvious option. When I had my first big tourney win £1.2k ($2.4k) I cashed in half, and stuck £300 ($600) straight behind the bar for all my mates to get rat arsed on! That way, no matter how many times the rest of my roll got screwed, I had a great 20th birthday! (In case your wondering gambling age is 18 in England)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even after 4 years of playing and making a decent bit of money, I still feel this way from time to time. I think the fear helps me to not get careless. It has also helped me to not jump up limits when unwarranted.

It's kinda like those successful people that cite "fear of failure" as their strongest motivator.

DN