Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Percentage of stack you call with mid pairs

I am interested in the percentage of your stack you would call off in a MTT with say, 7,7. You are strictly looking for a set which is 7.5:1 dog. Thus, you would fold on any flop other than a set.

I am not worried about getting sandwiched or more than one caller. This is strictly a math and percentage question. So, you can assume one caller with the same stack as yourself.

I usually use the 10% rule. I will sometimes call of 15% of my stack because, as we all know if you hit your set the implied odds are tremendous.

Thanks for you responses,

Stipe
Old 03-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Percentage of stack you call with mid pairs

I'm no pro but personally for 10-10 and below I usually try to spend less then 1/15 of my stack as you are only %16 to hit the set on the flop if memory serves me right. Situaltion dictates though. If I am shortstacked at the end and confident I am up against overs I will go all in with 2-2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Percentage of stack you call with mid pairs

In the earlier to mid-stages of a tourney I may call if it's less than around 1/15 of my stack. However, if there's a large raise I usually don't call even if it's only 1/20 my stack because of all the times I've lost to higher sets in that situation but I still do sometimes if there's 3 or 4 people in. Later in the tourney, this only applies if I'm a big stack up against another big stack who can pay me off. First of all, I don't like limping or just calling a small raise late in the tournament very much when it's more likely I'll be raised out. Secondly, it's tough to call off 1/10 your stack for a 7.5-1 shot when you only have 15 bb's left and you might not get paid off for it. Thirdly, we've all had runs where you don't hit your set like 20 times in a row and this would be especially bad in a tournament. Just my opinion