Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 PM

Default 40/80 half kill hand

Just moved to the main game, so no reads yet.

Hero is the SB with A9o.

EP posts a $60 kill blind. MP calls, button calls, hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: AJ8. (don't remember suits) Hero bets, 2 folds, MP calls, button calls.

Turn: 7. Hero bets, MP raises, button thinks for a long time and calls, Hero ?????
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: 40/80 half kill hand

ive found tehre are usually 2 general catagories people fall into on big bet streets in kill pots: either brave or scared (no relation to sklansky's hand description)

the brave people love raising on the big streets to get the scared ones to fold...and if the scared ones raise you are usually very very very beat...

too bad no reads...

but T9s is a very likely hand given the action...i think i fold this more often than i spend $120 to call down...especially given the button's cold call...

-Barron
Old 03-01-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but T9s is a very likely hand given the action...i think i fold this more often than i spend $120 to call down...especially given the button's cold call...

[/ QUOTE ]

$240 to call down, the turn call and the river call. And yes, the button's cold call did scare me.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:41 PM

with mp first in after the kill blind, correct strategy was probably to reraise any playable hand. so we dont gain too much information here, as hes probably too loose and his preflop hand range quite wide. but i think almost all players would reraise AA, JJ, AJ, and probably 88 and 77 preflop. i know i would. that leaves the main components of his hand range something like T9s, A8, A7, maybe 87s. against that precise range youre only a 4:1 dog so taking one off is a no brainer. its really difficult to come up with a hand range for him that would make a fold correct on the turn considering your pot odds. and theres the chance that he is playing Ax this way which you beat or have 7 outs against, in which case folding would be a very large mistake. of course there are other possible hands, and a chance he played a hand differently preflop than i would expect. im not too worried about the button player as he could have a large number of hands, most of which you beat or have several outs against.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$240 to call down, the turn call and the river call. And yes, the button's cold call did scare me.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmm...yes...addition...i'll work on that.

-Barron
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive found tehre are usually 2 general catagories people fall into on big bet streets in kill pots: either brave or scared (no relation to sklansky's hand description)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think being new to kill pot games, I must fall into the scared category here. I folded on the turn, and the button folded on the river. Later MP muttered something about having the best hand but I don't remember whether he said T9h and really did have the best hand or JTh and just didn't think I would lay down an A.

I think it was close but I wasn't really thrilled with my play, probably my worst played hand of the night. Does anyone try a check raise on the flop so I can feel better about laying down to a turn raise? Problem there if it checks through and I bet and get raised on the turn I would really not know what to do.