Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Not a Fun Spot

If I check this flop then Im going to check the turn as well. I agree with the others that you should bet out at the flop, but given the current situation I am checking this river and calling/folding depending on your read.

You say he is best at the table bar you, if this is the case then i think betting the river is a bad idea because:
1) To me a river bet looks like a block because of the raise pre flop and flop check etc, and if he is good he may well test you with a raise.
2) In the very same way that a river bet telegraphs your overpair from the way the hand played, a river check looks like you may have turn bet a draw and be trapping on the river (if he thinks you are as good, as you think he is). Hence if I am him then I cant bet the river unless I have at least AA beat.
3)What does he call on the turn with that doesnt beat AA once the 9 hits? Not many possible hands 77,88,qq,kk,a spade draw,or maybe a naked ten or j. Unlikely that he bets these on the river once you check. Compare that list with a wide range of possible calling hands on the turn that have you smashed.

I think the river check is right, I would be very reluctant calling a bet.