Old 03-01-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Wow

nooooooooo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nooooooooo [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

try running AVG first. Then do ad-aware. Then microsoft. Make sure to have the newest updates
Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i start to get this clicking noise in my laptop and then it freezes.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Clicking' -- probably something wrong with the hard drive (or maybe the CD drive if that is in use). It's one of the few moving peices inside your computer. This is a serious problem.

Very likely you hard drive is about to fail. Backup anything you want immediately. Write down passwords you might forget and would have a hard time recovering.

Check to see if you still have a warranty. I've recently had very good experiences with 3 different problems with my Dell laptop that were all taken care of by Dell in a free and timely manner.

Even if it is not under warranty (and you feel sure it is the HD that is failing), it probably pretty easy to buy a new hard drive and do a clean re-install. Laptop hard drives tend to be able to pop-out and in -- tricky part is they often have custom link-ups. Make sure you get a compatible model.

rabbit
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: How do you prevent somebody from hacking into your poker account?

The software that has been mentioned so far will find some of the trojans and keyloggers but not all. Approx. 70% of the known malware - and this is known.

If you want to know if there are any keyloggers on your system you can download Security Task Manager:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/taskmanager.html

This will give you a comprehensive view of your system and will detect any programs that have keyboard or screen hooks - and rate them. There are legitimate programs that will have these hooks, so you have to inspect the list. Another anti-keylogger worth mentioning is Snoopfree:

http://www.snoopfree.com/PrivacyShield.htm

It's free (or you can donate).

If you want to prevent trojans and keyloggers from installing on your machine, you can purchase ProcessGuard from DiamondCS. Go to:

www.wilderssecurity.com

for more information. There is a forum dedicated to ProcessGuard. Or you can go to DiamondCS's site:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/

DiamondCS also sells TDS-3, which has some of the deepest heuristics for find trojans. You can download a trial copy from their site.

McAfee and Kaspersky have the most comprehensive anti-malware scans. AVG's scan is not nearly as comprehensive. You can do a free scan using McAfee by going to their site or you can download trial software from their site.

If you have any questions about the settings or results from your scans, go to www.wilderssecuirty.com. They are very helpful on that site and have the best security experts in the world monitoring the lastest malware. Current discussion concerns rootkits which are malware that hides itself from other operating system and security programs.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read about people putting key loggers on your computer and taking screenshots and they can get your password and steal your money. How does someone put a key logger onto your PC? What is it? How can you avoid it? Is there a way to check if someone already has one on your PC? What can you download to get rid of it if you have one? Is there any other way someone can get your password or hack into your account? What do i need to be 100% safe that nobody will hack my account?

[/ QUOTE ]

One protection against brute force hacks is use a password that is at least 7 digits long with at least one Upper case, lower case letter, an number, and a special character ()!@#$%^&*
Old 03-01-2005, 01:12 PM

whoa... i will not deal with all that lol. I just finished AVG and it found 19 trojans. Then i just got a pop up that it found another one. When i tried to run ad aware, there was like 90 infected objects. Hopefully it will run the whole way through this time. When i do AVG it moves the viruses to a vault. Do i leave them in the vault or delete them? I appreciate all the help.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Use Password Safe to copy/paste all of your passwords in. It's awesome.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Clicking' -- probably something wrong with the hard drive (or maybe the CD drive if that is in use). It's one of the few moving peices inside your computer. This is a serious problem.

Very likely you hard drive is about to fail. Backup anything you want immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. This is what mine did for about a month before it crashed. $2,000 to get the data recovered from one of the 2 labs in Canada that could do it.

This should be your #1 concern right now. All of the other stuff your doing, defrags, etc.. will just expedite the crash of your hard drive.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:34 PM

As you will see in this comprehensive comparative test, AVG does an adequate, but relatively incomplete job, of finding viruses and trojans. The better products will ferret out the harder to detect ones. Only ProcessGuard will actually proactively protect a computer from infection.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2005_02.php