Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2002, 03:28 PM

Default Another Crazy Pineapple situation

There seems to some be common problems when playing crazy pineapple. Is there a rule of thumb for playing hands where you hold a made hand/hand that is leading but with a flop that has bigger draws. Here are two examples:

1) $1/2 on Paradise. I'm in the in cutoff with Ks 4s 5d. 2 limpers, I limp, buttons limp. Flop comes As 3s 2d. I flopped the nut straight, but have the nut flush draw. Small blind bets, 2 calls, I call. Should I raise? I called because I discarded the 5d. No spade came, and I lost to 2 pair.

2) Middle position with Ks Kd 5s. I raise, and get 4 callers. Flop comes Qs 2s 8d. I bet, and everyone calls. Now what? I think I made a mistake by discarding the Kd because I was afraid of the flush. The Kc fell on the turn, and a blank on the river. My pair of Kings won.

Fire away!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Another Crazy Pineapple situation

Why would you discard the nut straight for a chance to make the nut flush? That seems like a huge mistake. The flush won't get there nearly often enough to justify discarding the nut hand.

BTW, K54 certainly looks like a hand you should be folding.

Old 12-03-2002, 11:30 PM

Hi.

1. First hand, fold preflop. K54 is not a good starting hand in this situation.

Once you flop top str8, bet it out, and keep the str8. You are way ahead.

2. Second hand: KKxs. Keep the Kxs against 4 others. Look below for sims on this. You are way way ahead going for the flush, even K hi. Overpair does not play well against 4 others in this game.

mark
Old 12-08-2002, 08:55 PM

1) Most people say to fold in this situation. I disagree. It is not a bad starting hand. You have a King high flush draw and small connectors. The most important thing about this hand is you are in late position. I'll agree with everyone that you fold this hand everywhere but late position. Pineapple is the most positional game there is! The fact that you get to limp in makes it worthwhile.

The hand was definately played incorrectly. First off you have the greatest hand choice in Pineapple. The made nuts or the nut draw. Three people are in before you and one to act after you. I have no doubt that you raise here. A raise

1) Puts more money in the pot when you clearly have the best of it.
2) Helps define the hands. You certainly want to narrow the field. You also want to see if you are reraised. By raising in this spot you see what the other players have. You are likely up against

1) Flush draws. Six players before flop most likely there is one or two flush draws.
2) Ace rag. Lots of people will play an Ace rag in low limit Pineapple. Myself included.

I don't think you are up against a set of aces because that is always a raising hand in Pineapple.

3) You want the button to fold and gain true position.

4) You want to get reraised. This can really make a nice pot and/or narrow the field. The only hands that I think can reraise are a set or another wheel. Some of the best situations are that two people have the same hand. It should go to the cap on every card and really make the draws pay.

5) Represent the nut flush. Even if a flush card comes on the turn you can bet, raise, or reraise. You know the other player can't have the nut flush! The only scare card is a pair the board, especailly an ace.

HAND 2

Like the raise a lot of action. Six callers with a raise is huge. I don't think the King's are good. In Pineapple any three uncoordinated cards result in a 20% chance of two pair. You definately got the information you needed. You are likely beat. Go for the flush draw. You have around eighth nut high. When the king comes you can jam it I think. You are kicking yourself for not keeping the king, but nobody knows that you don't have a set of kings. I say play the hand like you have a set, nobody else has a set of kings. Every pair and or two pair has to be scared when an overcard hits. You know have top pair with a flush draw. Based on the betting action I think you have to assume that your flush is the nuts.

How your situations are different

Hand 1 - You truely have the nuts. A good rule in Pineapple is keep the made hand.

Hand 2 - You have a mere overpair against six callers.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:39 AM

Never before have I seen so much good pineapple advice preceeded by such a bad starting paragraph. Ignore this in the above post and you will do well.

) Most people say to fold in this situation. I disagree. It is not a bad starting hand. You have a King high flush draw and small connectors. The most important thing about this hand is you are in late position. I'll agree with everyone that you fold this hand everywhere but late position. Pineapple is the most positional game there is! The fact that you get to limp in makes it worthwhile.

You are nearly correct, it is not a bad starting hand it is a terrible starting hand. The rest of the advice is spot on!!

Adnirol
Old 12-10-2002, 09:36 PM

Default A debate?

Thanks for the compliments on the rest of the post. There is certainly room for discussion on if this is a good starting hand or position. I will defend the starting hand though, and playing it.

One point I will agree. If this hand is played anywhere, but late position or against a raise it is a definate fold.

What you don't like about the starting hand? I'm guessing it is not three cards working together. It has the dreaded "dangler". It does have two of the three combinations working together. The only combo that doesn't really work is the King and the unsuited little card. A lot of it depends on playing style. If you are a "rock" then this is not a playable hand. I believe that the way to maximize your profit is to play a little tighter than your opponents. With the low limit games on Paradise this is a profitable hand.

Warnings:
1) When playing inferior starting hands you better be able to them correctly post flop.
2) Folding is frequent
3) Be prepared for fluctuations (both up and down)