Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM

Default When should I consider moving back down a level?

New player. I've been playing poker online for about 4 months and been seriously studying for the last month.

Since keeping track, I've played about 7k hands at the .50/1 level almost exlusively on PartyPoker for 2.92BB/100.

I've read plenty of the posts that recommend a certain amount of hands to mark a player a "winning player." However, I decided to move up to 1/2 after these 7k hands. Now getting smacked to the tune of (5.20)BB/100 after only about 1k hands though. I feel comfortable there and have a large enough bankroll.

Moved up too soon after only 7k hands, so I should go back down and practice more?

Just a bad run, not nearly enough hands; keep going and keep studying?

Any comments for this new player appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: When should I consider moving back down a level?

1k hands is nothing

post some hands
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM

If I were you, I would not move back down just yet. 1K hands is not even a blip; should you continue playing, you'll run into much worse runs than -52BB over 1K hands. Much worse.

If you are comfortable and are appropriately bankrolled, I recommend you continue feeling out 1/2. When you become uncomfortable or underrolled, then consider moving back down.

Best of luck to you!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Moved up too soon after only 7k hands, so I should go back down and practice more?

Just a bad run, not nearly enough hands; keep going and keep studying?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's absolutely no way to tell with that sample size at both limits so do whatever makes you feel happy.

That said, 1/2 is harder than .5/1.00 and if are truly new to poker then you probably have way more to learn than you can get in 7k hands. Do you want to do your learning at the easier less costly spot or at the (marginally) harder and twice as expensive spot?

Up to you really.

--Zetack
Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM

Not everybody does well when they move up in limits. Some players at 2+2 were able to continue right up to $15/$30 without taking a hit. It has been estimated that just 5% to 6% of the poker players in the world are long-term winning players.

I will make an estimate that 80% of those winning players try to move up and about 10% do so without any serious losses until they reach a high enough limit to match their income needs (most here are at $15/$30).

This means that only .0048 do this - or about one half of a percent. So, don't feel bad. It means 99.5% of us reach a level that requires serious labor to adapt and usually comes with (what is hoped to be) a short-term losing period.

You can't improve to the level you want to be at without playing there, but there is no sense burning your entire bankroll trying. Drop down to get your senses straight, reread you poker library, rebuild your bankroll, get your confidence back in order - and then move back up. Good Luck.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's absolutely no way to tell with that sample size at both limits so do whatever makes you feel happy.

That said, 1/2 is harder than .5/1.00 and if are truly new to poker then you probably have way more to learn than you can get in 7k hands. Do you want to do your learning at the easier less costly spot or at the (marginally) harder and twice as expensive spot?

Up to you really.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:35 PM

I just moved down for the week from 3/6 after going from 12.1 BB/hr for the last week (was on a good streak) to down about 100 BB over the weekend. Just wasn't playing well -- playing too many tables/tourneys and not paying attention.

So went back down to 2/4 to collect my head a bit. I have no doubt though once I get focused again I'll move back up.

I play as lawhoo on party (scrummie2 on empire) - you may have seen me yesterday giving away chips lol
Old 02-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the posts.

I think I'm on my way back down to .50/1 to rack up a bunch more hands and to learn a LOT more. Time to study up and read every post on the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 AM

You have to be playing the relatively tight aggro day games. Because if you are losing on the late night games your having problems big time. The late night games are the same thing with double the value. Just choose better tables during day. If only one soft one is around just play that and play a .5/1 game or 2.........
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be playing the relatively tight aggro day games. Because if you are losing on the late night games your having problems big time. The late night games are the same thing with double the value. Just choose better tables during day. If only one soft one is around just play that and play a .5/1 game or 2.........

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't even think about the difference between a day and night game. I play the majority of my games during the day.

Time for a search for threads on table selection.