Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: My Nemesis - AJo

Wait until the turn to raise. Anyone w/ a flush draw, a 6 or an A will probably call the raise on the flop and check the turn. He either has a 6 (man I have been running into this a lot lately, trips on the flop) or that 9 helped - A9?

That 3 bet on the turn tells me you're probably beat.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 PM

i dont know where the players are coming from by telling you to smooth the flop. raising the flop is obviously the standard. id raise the turn as well and fold to the 3bet. a poster here said not to raise the turn because you get to the showdown for the same price, but who said you were looking to get to the showdown for the same price? you raise the turn for value, because you have to assume your ace is bigger than his most of the time and therefore you value bet the river. i put villain on A9 and caught his 2P.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM

Why is raising the flop standard? This is a way ahead or way behind situation on the flop (ie someone has a 6). I'd prefer to make a flush draw or dominated Ax pay more on the turn.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM

This is the best response so far.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 PM

I don't like the river raise as you have shown much strength throughout the hand and yet he still bets into you at the river. I like the way you played the rest of the hand.

I'm guessing he had A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or maybe 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Something like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is also possible but I think he would have 3-bet you on the turn with that.

He's got to be pretty stubborn if he stayed to the river with 99.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is raising the flop standard? This is a way ahead or way behind situation on the flop (ie someone has a 6). I'd prefer to make a flush draw or dominated Ax pay more on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop-raise still isn't a terrible play. While I agree with your logic for the most part, if you're up against the flush draw they're going to call the raise and its a good opportunity to get more money in when you're a sizeable favorite.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:55 PM

I think if there were more players, the flop raise is correct.

But in this scenario - the SB checks. The limper then comes with a weak lead, which likely says I have A-little. If the SB is on a flush draw, he is coming along for the ride.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 PM

he had A9 for the turned two pair.

I called both the turn 3-bet and the river bet for a net loss of $60 unecessarily lost dollars.

Combine this with my other JJ post in which I laid down the best hand in a $700 pot and I'm -25 BB's right there...calling down with the loser and laying down the winner is not a good way to help the ol' winrate.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:24 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

folding jacks didn't cost you $700. if you thought the chance was 100% that you were beaten and it was really an 80% chance, that's the difference of what you lost.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgetting what is seen on the turn, the flop raise is a good play. You say "why raise the flop"... but based on the board it's clearly the correct play. Look at the baord. UTG+1 limped in pre-flop so if he has an Ace, it's weak. Are you going to just "call" the flop with top pair and a decent kicker?

The only way a post-flop raise would be bad here is if you put UTG+1 on trips with the boarded pair, and you can't make that read of his post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is not a good play for many reasons, the least of which being fear of trips.
-James