Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Live 5/5 Hand - \"But I Don\'t Want To Be A Pirate... \"

Live 5/5 - 7-handed....I have ~$1200 and the table covered....villain in this hand is an idiot - young twenty-something (he looks more like seventeen) who's splashing around...he has ~$750 that he got purely from chasing and hitting gutshots....

one limper to me on the button, I make it $30 with TT, villain calls in SB, limper calls....flop ($95) comes 633...checked to me, I bet $60....villain instantly and forcefully says "Raise!" and makes it $250 straight....okay, guess he doesn't have the 3....I put him squarely on a six, or possibly 77-99.....what's your plan?....

I hate playing a big pot here.....limper folded, I called instantly with the intention of checking it down (I knew he'd shut down once I called)....turn came a 9 - check, check......river a 4 - check, check....he turns over A6 and MHIG.....

in hindsight, anyone bet the turn?....reraising the flop does nothing for me because he wouldn't have called anything with a worse hand.....but I did give him a free chance to hit his 5-outer (or in my mind at the time, a 2 to 5-outer) on the river.....I figured if the river hit and he looked like lightning struck him and came alive with a big bet, I would've been able to get away from my hand....

(oh, and what about a possible value bet on the river by me?)...
Old 02-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Live 5/5 Hand - \"But I Don\'t Want To Be A Pirate... \"

Would he really lead out and reraise on the flop with trip threes?

You made the proper read to what he had, and gave him two free cards to improve.

Understandably you may have been apprehensive to bet the turn, but after he checks behind you, you know you've got the best hand.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:21 PM

I think you played it wrongly. He is shutting down after your call so why do you just call and check it down if you trust your read? You dont have a chance to win any more money and you are giving the fish a free shot.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would he really lead out and reraise on the flop with trip threes?

You made the proper read to what he had, and gave him two free cards to improve.

Understandably you may have been apprehensive to bet the turn, but after he checks behind you, you know you've got the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

he didn't lead out, or reraise, and he didn't check behind me because he's in the SB....
Old 02-27-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 5/5 - 7-handed....I have ~$1200 and the table covered....villain in this hand is an idiot - young twenty-something (he looks more like seventeen) who's splashing around...he has ~$750 that he got purely from chasing and hitting gutshots....

one limper to me on the button, I make it $30 with TT, villain calls in SB, limper calls....flop ($95) comes 633...checked to me, I bet $60....villain instantly and forcefully says "Raise!" and makes it $250 straight....okay, guess he doesn't have the 3....I put him squarely on a six, or possibly 77-99.....what's your plan?....

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay at the table until this yahoo goes bust!

Online, where yahoos rarely make moves like this, I'm more likely to fold... but once you call him on the flop, and he checks the turn and river, you've got to find another bet somewhere.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:23 PM

When he checks the turn and the river, you know you have him beat. I would bet something in the range of $150 on the river.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stay at the table until this yahoo goes bust!

Online, where yahoos rarely make moves like this, I'm more likely to fold... but once you call him on the flop, and he checks the turn and river, you've got to find another bet somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking...
Old 02-28-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.I put him squarely on a six, or possibly 77-99

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I called instantly with the intention of checking it down

[/ QUOTE ]

come again?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 PM

I don't understand how you put him on a hand that you beat, but decide to check it down.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 PM

I would make a value bet about $150-200 on the turn. If he raises I muck. If he calls I'd be afraid enough to check the river or fold to a reasonably sized bet. You have a marginal holding, you strongly suspect he has an even more marginal holding, and there is enough money in the pot to want to win now, make the bet and give him a chance to fold or set up a free showdown.

silly