Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Default A bb defense

First hand at the table, post my big blind and get 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folded to the button who open raises, SB and I both call.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to the button, Button Bets, SB Calls, I CR, Button Calls, SB Folds.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I Bet, Button Folds

I have been focusing on my blind play and this one seemed to have some options to it. Who 3 bets preflop, and what PP would be your cutoff for raising with the SB in? Is check raising the the flop the standard play here? What if the SB had folded to the buttons flop bet. Would that change your postflop line?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: A bb defense

88 is an easy 3bet for me. I probably draw the line by folding 55, although it depends.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:42 PM

I'll 3-bet with 88 just about everytime, unless the button is a super rock and never steals. My cutoff for 3-betting is probably down to 66.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
88 is an easy 3bet for me. I probably draw the line by folding 55, although it depends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaaaaaat?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 PM

How constructive of you.

My play postflop isn't that great, so I'd rather not play the low pockets out of position against a preflop raiser.

But I'm assuming the "whaaaaaat" referred to folding 55 and down. On the other hand, if you disagreed with 3betting 88, then... whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:20 PM

Hi RunDown...:

If you were to call with a pair of deuces and always fold on the flop if you didn;t flop a third deuce, you would be playing profitably.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-27-2005, 10:22 PM

folding 55 in this spot would be really bad. you're getting enough odds/implied odds to try to hit your set if nothing else.

edit: mason stole my glory [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. if clark and mason have taken to posting in HUSH more often, then i guess i'll allow it.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi RunDown...:

If you were to call with a pair of deuces and always fold on the flop if you didn;t flop a third deuce, you would be playing profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, but the struggle lies in that restraint.

Thinking about it more, I suppose folding any pocket for just one SB is probably not so goot.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 PM

My only point is that the gap between 88 and 55 is not such that one is a 3-bet 3-ways and the other is a fold for a single bet getting 5-1 odds.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:40 AM

Against unknowns I play it the same. If the button is very aggressive I like to bet out and 3- bet if he raises me. It knocks out the SB and you usually get a fold on the turn.

btw, i don't think it matters all that much if you reraise pf or not. Being OOP with a medium pair and cold caller, your hand isn't really THAT great. Plus, if you just call, you set up a check raise on a favorable flop