Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2002, 05:55 AM

Default When the pot gets HUGE...

I was playing in a $4/8 game tonight when two players entered simultaneoulsy, both posting.

UTG raises, I am sitting UTG + 1 w/ K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I reraise. MP coldcalls, both posters call, and button makes it 4 bets. I decide not to reraise and call.

6 players in for 4 bets each. 25.5 total bets.
Flop: Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . I decide to check once to see what happens. MP bets, all call, and I call.
6 players. 31.5 total bets.
Turn: 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] .
What do you do from this point on? I believe I made a mistake on the flop, but I'm more interested in what my best play would be on the turn and beyond with my unimproved Kings.

--Jason
Old 12-08-2002, 05:59 AM

Default Results

I check-called again on the turn (like a deer caught in headlights), with a total of 5 players calling the turn.
River was a T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] .

Final board was Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] .

I checked. MP bet, 1st poster raised, and I folded.
MP held 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] and 1st poster held T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] .
In case it matters, UTG flashed A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] .

It was the only hand I saw all night where two players simultaneously decided to play rags.

--Jason
Old 12-08-2002, 06:13 AM

Default Re: When the pot gets HUGE...

You have to bet the flop, if someone has top pair, they mgiht raise, the you can either reraise, or checkraise the turn.

I think you have to bet the turn here, but nobody is going to fold, they are all getting at least 16 to 1 to call, the pot has turned this into showdown poker, whoever has the best hand at the end wins.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:37 AM

Cap it preflop and bet out on the flop. The person holding AQ will most likely raise and get out the riffraff. Then you can three-bet. You played this very weak-tightish. Get the chips flying and make those morons pay to draw out on you.

PokerPrince
Old 12-08-2002, 06:38 AM

5-bet preflop. Bet the flop. Bet the turn.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:45 PM

Cap preflop. Bet the flop. Bet the turn. I'm not sure why you immediately assume that your KK is no good, especially when a raggedy flop comes, to which you have an overpair. If an Ace or a third club comes on the turn, then you start to become concerned that your KK is no good.

-- Homer
Old 12-08-2002, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Results

You need to realize that there is a very good chance that you gave this hand away. Your passive flop and turn play allowed a hand like 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] to see the river cheaply. 1 of 2 things should have happened: You lose 2-3 more BB or you move 10 4 off his hand and rake the pot. Either result should make you happier than playing the way you did.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Results

why didnt you plan ahead on this one? what the hell are you afraid of?

ok you check called the flop. fine. once you see the bettor is in MP, theres a good chance he'll bet again on the turn. so your choices going into the turn are

bet out...call a raise...
check and if anyone bets, you RAISE. especially if it's the same player betting.

the T4 may have called if caught in between, but this was the chances to fold him. on the big betting round.

decent fold on the river. though from how timid you played, it seems you were trying to justify a laydown from the flop on.

first time with KK?

"It was the only hand I saw all night where two players simultaneously decided to play rags"

that's probably because they folded when they missed with em. id look more into your play right now than theirs. they actually played post flop pretty good. even if it was by accident.

b
Old 12-08-2002, 05:41 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

the UTG played this hand pretty bad too. post flop, i dont see a bet with his top pair top kicker anywhere. the MP did the betting. though it's not clear who bet the turn.

spot on on weak tight play. if this poster ever bets postflop, id be folding [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

b