Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Default ATo from BB - Instructional Hand/Thoughts?

I think this hand truly has many concepts displayed in it that can help me, and hopefully others, sharpen their poker playing skills.

I have many questions about this hand, and welcome some expert advice as to how others would play it.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ??

Would appreciate comments on flop play. Fold? or Reraise w/two pair to flush board.

Also, turn play.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-26-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: ATo from BB - Instructional Hand/Thoughts?

Fold PF, your hand doesn't play well OOP in a big multiway pot. If it were suited it'd be an easy call.

Cap the flop, you're ahead most of the time here even after button 3-bets. This will make playing the rest of the hand easier.

As you played it, you have to raise the turn. Charge the diamonds as much as you can because you're still probably ahead. If it gets three-bet on the turn then you can go into calldown mode.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop, you're ahead most of the time here even after button 3-bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't even see that! Thanks. One of my 'leaks' right now is that I have to become more aggressive...and stay aggressive w/a good hand. I was afraid of the flush so didn't want to risk too much.

Okay, call me a WUSS!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:23 PM

The chances of someone flopping a flush are very very small. Cap the flop, raise the turn, and 3bet if you can. Call a cap and call the river.

Your hand will be good enough of the time here to cap the flop and 3bet the turn.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:29 PM

I hate playing any Ax vs. a pfr. I fold preflop.

cap the flop, bet the turn.

In your line, you need to raise the turn.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:18 PM

And even if someone has 1 diamond, you're not a huge underdog. They have 7 outs (remaining diamonds for a 4 flush on board and you have 6 outs (3 x A , 3 x T).

The reason they only have 7 outs and not 9 is that Ad and Td, while they complete the flush, make you a winner with a full house. (now if they're holding the Ad, or Td you're down a little).

Add to all this the chance you're ahead, and it's looking pretty good for betting and making the draws pay. And if someone flopped the flush, you still have 6 outs w/ a raised pot. You can improve, the flush almost surely won't.

Peter Ajtai.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:20 PM

If all the other person has is the Kd for the nut flush draw, you're a very big favorite over them. More than two to one.

Not an underdog at all.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:22 PM

True that. Got confused and was still thinking about the flopped flush instead of drawing to a board 4 flush....
Old 02-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Default ATo Instructional Hand - Rest of Hand

When I reviewed this hand, I had to look at it 8 or 9 times not believing how terrible I played it. The flush and after the turn, straight draw, scared me with only have 4 outs, 2 A's and 2 T's.

I also failed to look at pot odds, which were like 13:1 at the turn bet when.... (head low, shuffling along) I FOLDED! Ugh!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

River: (18 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB

Hopefully I learned something from this fiasco!

David
Old 02-27-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And even if someone has 1 diamond, you're not a huge underdog. They have 7 outs (remaining diamonds for a 4 flush on board and you have 6 outs (3 x A , 3 x T).

[/ QUOTE ]

How many Aces and Tens are in your decks?

There are only 4 outs to improve to a full house.

Plus, the Ad and Td are on the board. So nobody's holding them.

KO