Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Default How long before. . .

I was watching the WPT Hollywood Home Game rerun last night, and during one of the Geordie and 8 Mile guys pissing contests 8 Mile guy pushes 100k chips into the pot. The drummer from No Doubt leans over to Wesley Crusher and asks, "Is that a lot?" Wesley responds, "well maybe not to 'working actors'. . ."
Later when the pretty lady used her Red Card to get the advice of Daniel Negraneau and Paul Darden I began to wonder. . . How long before the Poker Pros become the bigger celebrities?
Think of Daniel's year last year and the continued growth of Poker. Casual viewers of the WPT will just now get a chance to see Daniel's run to POY.
When the WPT started they needed the exposure the celebs brought to the game, but how long before the Bravo series and WPT Home Game show become similar to MTV's Rock n Jock stuff?

Joe
Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: How long before. . .

The time is now...the fact that you can't remember anyones name proves it.

The only guy I remember being there was Lavar Burton, and I only knew him from Reading Rainbow.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The time is now...the fact that you can't remember anyones name proves it.

The only guy I remember being there was Lavar Burton, and I only knew him from Reading Rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, hold-up dude. Just b/c some guy posting on a poker forum can't remember the names of these people does not necessarily mean that poker stars are or ever will be bigger stars than Hollywood actors, atheletes, musicians or anyone else in the public eye.

I mean that would be like someone posting on the TV Guide forum, "Hey, I was watching this Hollywood Home Game and there was Jack Black and William Shatner and Ben Affleck playing poker...getting coached by this petite girl with blond hair and some half-balding pretty boy who are apparently pretty good. Who are these clowns anyway?"
Old 02-26-2005, 01:01 AM

Thanks for replying,
Remember though the original question was, How long do you think it will be before the Poker Pros are the bigger celebrities? I think a very strong case could be made for very soon as the answer.
David Sklansky in his WPT appearance made the huge lay down of AK in part because he wanted more 'face time' on TV. WPT is bigger than ever, poker has a solid footing on ESPN, and FOX Sports, and we saw 8 of the greatest players finish a tournament on NBC on SuperBowl Sunday. 'Face Time', money earned, and general media buzz, are all indicators of fame, and poker players are getting more of each with every passing day.

Joe
Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for replying,
Remember though the original question was, How long do you think it will be before the Poker Pros are the bigger celebrities? I think a very strong case could be made for very soon as the answer.
David Sklansky in his WPT appearance made the huge lay down of AK in part because he wanted more 'face time' on TV. WPT is bigger than ever, poker has a solid footing on ESPN, and FOX Sports, and we saw 8 of the greatest players finish a tournament on NBC on SuperBowl Sunday. 'Face Time', money earned, and general media buzz, are all indicators of fame, and poker players are getting more of each with every passing day.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this completely.

Sklansky wanted face time to sell books, not become a celeb. Same as if he decided to advertise on a NASCAR.

Speaking of which, while some of the top pros will, and, in fact, already have become celebrities. Do you really think they will ever be as big a celebrity as Britney Spears is/was, Michael Jordan, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr/Sr, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Madonna, etc.

I think you get my point, if it wasn't 1:00 in the morning I could come up with better examples.

There is no doubt poker players are becoming celebrities. There is also no doubt they will never be as big celebrity-wise as other the biggest celebs/atheletes in the world in my mind. But, you never know I guess.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:35 AM

as a poker player, i am biased when selecting who is more famous. however, i wouldnt at all be surprised if the name daniel negreanu is more famous than michie pheifer or whatever it is.

to say that poker players will never become more famous then select actors is quite a bold statement. poker has potential has a growing sport, and if im not mistaken, anna kournikova, tiger woods, and lance armstrong are all more famous than any one of those actors in that celebrity home game.