Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Q-Q middle of Tourney

Middle of a PokerStars $11 rebuy tourney, blinds 150/300, I have t7800. Rebuy period is oer. I am one of the smaller stacks on the table.

Part I:

I get Q-Q in CO. UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to 1000. Everyone folds to me. UTG+1 is about even stacked with me. I haven't been paying too much attention, but I don't remember seeing him him play a whole lot of hands, and he's certainly not loose.

What do I do with my Q-Q? VERY good chance of A-A, K-K or A-K, in which case I'm a small favorite or a huge dog. Of course there's a large range of hands he could have of which I have him dominated. Is it worth risking going broke in this situation?

How about a min-raise, and if he pushes I fold? Kind of a strange play, but it seems like I could get some valuable information from him.

Part II:

I decided to call the 1000. BB also called. Pot is 3-way with just over 3000 in the middle. Flop comes 8-4-2 rainbow. BB checks, preflop raiser bets out 3000. I fold.

I don't think necessarily folding was a bad play, but if I'm going to call his bet preflop, I feel like I should play with him if I get a favorable flop for Q-Q. Otherwise, why did I call preflop to start?

Any thoughts? I know I probably misplayed it. I have a terrible tendency that if I'm not sure if I should raise or fold, calling is a nice compromise.

Etotheipi...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Q-Q middle of Tourney

You are playing extremely scared. With AA, KK, and QQ, you have to re-raise PF unless you have a lock read on villian

On the flop, given that you didn't re-raise PF, I think I raise All-in. I don't see a set in this situation.. not with a big bet like that on a rainbow board with no real straight draws. AA or KK is possible, but so are a million other holdings. You basically got what you wanted. He's pretty much pot committed so he almost has to call a raise.

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 PM

Very weak.

You've got someone open-raising into your very strong holding. There are only two starting hands out of thousands that have you beaten. Automatically placing your opponent on one of those two hands is playing scared. Your opponent could easily have JJ or TT (maybe even AK) as he could AA or KK.

You got the flop you wanted, minus flopping a set. You missed a great opportunity to double up here. And if I bust out with QQ to KK or AA here, I can sleep at night.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 PM

Would you say the same if I said that he was a really tight player???
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 PM

I would
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 PM

the blinds are never 150/300 in that rebuy. It goes from 100/200 to 200/400.....
Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 PM

on the flop, all in so fast it gives him whiplash.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:09 PM

First I think just cold-calling with QQ is a major mistake.

you need to reraise here. I'm going to make it at LEAST 2500 to go, perhaps 3K.

If I had just cold-called as you had, your play on the flop is all-in.

What hands do you think he'd OVERBET the pot with? Hands where he doesn't want a call. Remember once the flop comes out, you're a much bigger favorite over AK than you are preflop.

And I seriously doubt he'd bet THAT BIG on the flop with AA or KK. He made a "I want to push you out right now" bet. With AA or KK, he should be making a "call because I'm way ahead and I want your chips" bet. (which is a smaller bet than the 3K he made it)

So *IF* I had chosen to just call preflop, I'm going to beat him in to the pot with all my chips. I think a fold here is really really scared poker.

-Scott
Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 PM

raise to 2800
if he goes allin then determine if he has you dominated. i dont think it is wrong to push/call allin unless u have a strong read. u should be watching your opponents tendencies.

anyone: UB TEC for sale at $91. msg me if u r interested
(if i do not sell within a few days i will advertise on rpg yucky)
Old 02-25-2005, 11:25 PM

Nodody mentioned pushing preflop. Why re-raise without pushing? Obviously if you re-raise you're pretty committed with the stack sizes. If you reraise (not all in) it gives him the chance to pull a stop and go with JJ/TT and scare you off an A or K high flop. Or a reraise (not all in) looks suspicious and makes him fold JJ/TT. Pushing might be more likely to get a call from JJ/TT because it looks more like you have AK or something. There's a lot of money in the pot relative to the stack sizes, I am not upset if he just folds. Thoughts?