Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 87h on the button. You face a 6xBB raise (40xBB stacks) 1st hand of tourney.
I fold. This is a joke, right? 29 80.56%
I call. Gus Hansen and Dan the Man would! If I hit the flop hard, I can bust him out. 3 8.33%
Raise him all-in while cackling wildly! BOOYAH! 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Does this forum need to split?

Yes of course you can win at the lower levels while not playing such hands. I understand this very well.

However I believe this style of play is likely sub-optimal and maybe costs you a few percentage points (maybe 1-3?) in ROI over the long haul. Also it should create bad habits should one ever be interested in moving up in levels.

I also understand why some players who are just starting out, should play very very tight for a while until they feel more comfortable, and then they should only play very tight. I usually begin by teaching people to play somewhat sub-optimally, and slowly train them out of it after the course of a few hundred tournaments.

(btw I often fold AJo and 66 in the SB to min raises in the $215s....AJo is not a hand to play out of position to a raiser. I fold AQo sometimes in the same situation as well, but JJ was going a bit too far. I play tighter than you think, I generally fold AQo in early position in the $215s.)
Old 02-25-2005, 05:18 PM

In some games the bubble play is awful, today ( ok i admit i play 110 cents sngs) I just had to battle my way throguh a bubble u wont see on the $11s ... we had a LAG but he had a big stack, he had a tight weak but he was the third short stack so his strategy was correct , we had a middle stack and he was IMO the second best player , and we had me who was the short stack and was never able to steal anything ( each time i raised i got called or reraised) I decided to tighten up ( i had 8x the bb when a pair of kings came to save my ass).
ANYWAY: IF A PLAYER IS NOT ABLE TO ADAPT HE WILL LOSE ANYWAY, BUBBLES ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT AND THE LEVEL OF BUY IN IS JUST ONE OF THE FACTORS( TIME OF PLAY, WHAT PLAYERS JOIN THE TOURNEY( U MIGHT JOIN A $33 WITH 6 WINNING PLAYER OR A $109 FULL OF FISHES), WHAT PLAYERS REACH THE BUBBLE( MAYBE IN A $55 TWO FISHES GET REALLY LUCKY) MY $0,02
Old 02-25-2005, 05:52 PM

I think splitting 1TTF is a great idea. In fact, Why quit with only two? We could split 1 Table Tournament Forum into:

Amature SNG Forum
Professional SNG Forum
<30 Forum
30-109 Forum
215 and Big Step Forum
2+2 Game Forum
SNG Theory Forum
SNG Math Theory Forum
More than 4 table Forum
Thanks, I won one! Forum
OFFICIAL threads Forum
Sweat threads Forum, and
A Private Forum for anybody that wanted to start their own club!

Oh, and a special one for lessons on how to use collapsed and threaded modes.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 06:12 PM

When i read the post title, i expected a split between HH situations and bankroll. I think that would be a prudent split.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:14 PM

Yeah I mainly just like the HH posts. The ones that are too general are too much for me.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I don't think splitting is in anyone's best interest. What the forum really needs is to have the/a FAQ back. I sent a PM to Mat Sklansky this week asking what needed to happen to get it, or another one back. He has not responded. When, and if he does, I'd be glad to put something together with everybody's help.

I only brought the notion of a split up because there are many instances where there are times that a LBI player is arguing the merits of folding a hand like JJ to min raise in the SB where that is probably the correct play at the $11s but the wrong play at the $215s.

I think it would be a shame for the LBI players to lose the knowledge that is freely shared by the Irieguys, Eastbays, Dalimans, Gigabets, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me just voice a vote for not splitting. I can justify this mostly only on selfish grounds. I'm pretty new to tournies, very new to 2+2, and play 22s, 33s sometimes on weekends/thursday night, etc. If all the 109 and 215 players left the forum, there would be much much less good info being passed around for us noobs/low limit players (maybe that's the idea!! No need to educate new players!!). I guess if it was split I could just read the high limit forum for nugs, but I really appreciate the opportunity to have, say, curtains comment on my HH's, which obviously I couldn't post in a high limit forum.

On a less selfish note, I've noticed that a few (not SO many, but some) of the good threads here are started by low limit players with interesting HH or even general questions that attract the attention of the high-limit types and start really instructive threads. I think there might be less of that at a high limit forum, which I feel might end up being full only of complex statistical and theoretical posts, which are awesome but only make up half the goodness of this forum right now...
Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM

I was wondering.

Does anyone maintain really good numbers in the morning (EST)?