Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Flopped trips

Party 15/30. I am in the big blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. There is a limp in early position, a raise in mid-late position, a cold call on the button, a call by the small blind, and the limper calls. Five to the flop for two bets:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

First of all, booyeah.

I bet, limper folds, raiser raises, both players in between call two cold and I.....

call. Normally, I would play this fast and three bet it here, but I was thinking about the possibility of trapping the two in between for an extra big bet by check raising the turn.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I....check

It is checked around.

Is the decision not to three bet in this situation a huge mistake? Or just a potentially profitable situation that didn't work out?

RH
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Flopped trips

I find myself in this position a lot as well. Although your solid instinct will tell you to play it fast, a little greedy voice in your head highlights the fact that the aggressor in the hand is in the perfect position for you to c-raze the turn and trap people in between. Hmmmmmmm.

I have found that much of the time, what happened to you on the turn will be the case. Also, don't forget the times when the aggressor does bet the turn but one or two of the limpers drop because they missed improving the 3-flush or other garbage draw they had on the flop.

I think your SOP in this spot should be to 3-bet on the flop and play it fast, unless you have stats/observations indicating that this player is very aggressive post-flop and will almost certainly bet the turn in this kind of situation.

Just my 2c - Jags
Old 02-24-2005, 09:25 PM

MR,

I think the 3-bet is clear when replaying the hand in slow motion, just because even a fairly retarded raiser is going to be liable to proceed cautiously after getting cold called in three different spots on this board.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:56 PM

When i'm in the same situation it is always tempting to try to get that check-raise in, but always feel like i made a terrible mistake when it gets checked around and then you bet the river and get maybe one caller. If you 3-bet you will certainly get called (maybe raised if LAG) by the raiser and called by the others. Even when you check and the preflop raiser does bet the turn, you will find that too often that the other two will dump their JQ/JT or whatever by the turn for a BB. Overall, i think 3-bets should be your standard play. Then every once in a while when you're in an especially juicy game where you know those guys are gonna see a river and you know your raiser will bet, then you can pop 'em on the turn. Sometimes easier said than done though. Too often we get tricky and then realize the trick's on us.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 PM

I'm definitely check-raising the flop on this one. Maybe he'll 3-bet, leaving you with many good options. Or maybe he'll decide to wait and raise an overpair on the turn, when you can 3-bet for 3 big ones.

As played, I think you should 3-bet the flop for reasons that Nate mentioned.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MR,

I think the 3-bet is clear when replaying the hand in slow motion, just because even a fairly retarded raiser is going to be liable to proceed cautiously after getting cold called in three different spots on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

word up homie.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Yes, yes, of course you are right. It also didn't help that I agonized about the decision for a few too many seconds before deciding to just call.

Insult to injury: they all folded to my river bet.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:58 PM

I would three bet the flop and lead the river.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

As 3 betting the flop could just as well indicate an overpair,

[ QUOTE ]
just because even a fairly retarded raiser is going to be liable to proceed cautiously after getting cold called in three different spots on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this reason, I'd be inclined to call the flop raise and bet out on the turn, not check the turn.

Not saying 3 betting is bad, by any means, just presenting another line.

b
Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I would three bet the flop and lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean lead the turn, right?

b