Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2002, 04:36 AM

Default Planet poker points

Anyone find it strange that the way Planet computes player points is considered proprietary by Planet Poker(that's what they told me in e-mail). So, the players cannot check to see if point total is correct. It only updates once per day too so you have no way of knowing where you stand.

All other sites where I've played tell you exactly how they compute points. It's transparent and if you doubt their point total you can request hand histories and compute them yourself. But Planet has decided to have a secret method of computing points.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Planet poker points

And its pretty weird when I play the same amount on two different days and I get 100 pts one day and 300 the next.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:21 PM

I inquired to Planet about their points as well and got a little additional information. It seems that their points are based on how much action you generate. So, playing HU would be the quickest way to generate points for a given limit.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say it's remarkably similar to how Pacific lets you accumulate points.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:41 PM

I inquired to Planet about their points as well and got a little additional information. It seems that their points are based on how much action you generate. So, playing HU would be the quickest way to generate points for a given limit.

Yeah, they said th formula has to do with how much you contribute to rake. If you just call preflop and fold on flop and then the pot gets huge. You have contributed a low percentage to rake. So I would guess you earn very few points.

Here is their actual reply to me.

"Planet Points are calculated based upon a proprietary formula that our programmers have developed. It factors in the value of the player's contribution to the rake collected at the table
during an individual's playing session - i.e. the number of points awarded is dependent upon the dollar value of the rake taken, the number of players dealt in the hand, and the number
of raked hands a player participates in. The points formula does not consider whether the players win or lose the hand.

Planet Poker has attempted to develop the Planet Points system to enable our players to share in the Cardroom's profit in a way that is fair and equitable to all. Therefore, the assessment of the points is proportional to the player's contribution to the Cardroom's profitability, and fairly distributes the greatest number of points to our most loyal customers."
Old 12-05-2002, 02:10 PM

If you change:

"and fairly distributes the greatest number of points to our most loyal customers"

to

"and distributes the greatest number of points to our most maniacal customers"

I would totally agree.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:20 PM

I play at several sites, but have not been to planet lately.
I would assume they have an explanation of the points program somewhere on the website.
If so, they made a choice to 'reward' the more active(looser) player with a faster method of gaining points.
Nothing wrong with that, as that player will contribute
more to the rake than a tight player.
But if this is not explained on the website, then I agree that it is misleading.
The reason I feel that way is because it has become the norm on sites that have points, to give points on a per hand basis (rake required).
When you deviate from the accepted norm, you should
make the extra effort to inform your customers.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:44 PM

and fairly distributes the greatest number of points to our most loyal customers."

and makes the fish think they are onto a good thing.