Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: BIG HAND

"Push preflop" Lawrence? Are you kidding?!

You meant "push on the flop," right?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:25 PM

If you put one of them on a set, which is probably true, you are 33-66 to win. Pushing the flop sounds like a bad idea. Call for the turn only if you think you will get paid off when you hit.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 PM

What did the SB do? If he flat calls you could get your price to just call. With three Jacks for a straight you have 12 outs excluding the fact that 3 Aces might be outs as well. So with 12 outs you're 2.9 to 1 to see the turn. So I think it is important to tell us what the SB did.

I forgot that SB was already in for $50. So I take that back you wouldn't get you price if he just calls. I would push on the flop.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did the SB do? If he flat calls you could get your price to just call. With three Jacks for a straight you have 12 outs excluding the fact that 3 Aces might be outs as well. So with 12 outs you're 2.9 to 1 to see the turn. So I think it is important to tell us what the SB did.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way you have A outs is if MP has 89h, which I doubt.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I understand what you mean. I stated that he has 12 out with three more jacks for the straight but did not think 15 outs was right to add b/c we are not sure that villian does not have a set.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I understand what you mean. I stated that he has 12 out with three more jacks for the straight but did not think 15 outs was right to add b/c we are not sure that villian does not have a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

A = ace, but yea they are definetly not outs here.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:16 AM

The rule for this situation is usually push. Thats just a heuristic however and there are exceptions to every rule. Going strong with draws is clearly very contingent on fold equity, which I find quite lacking in this spot. Folding is obviously weak with a hand this good. Calling means you are drawing out of position and will be shut out if the turn bricks. Pushing is the obvious good play but it should be said villain seems very likely to have top2, bottom or mid set. All of these hands are going to the felt and you do not have quite the overlay to draw against a set.

My play would be to reraise 350-400, leaving yourself maybe 100. It might seem like a small point but I feel like this bet screams strength a little more and provides marginally higher fold equity. The rest goes in on the turn regardless.

Having said that, I feel like calling is being unfairly bashed here. Against an unimaginitve tight player who will show 77 everytime, calling is a surprisingly good option. Against a trickey lag your fold equity is huge because he could have 89, JQ, small flush, etc. As pretty as the draw is, you are incorrect to push here if villain is 90% to have a set(ABC player). Call, hope for a jack (best) or at least a heart on the turn. Make a weak lead if you hit and check fold if you dont. Tight unimaginitive players incidentally are also ABC and not fantastic hand readers. No way they put you on a gutshot. You have fantastic implied odds for a jack and okay ones for a heart. I know we all want to see both cards with a draw like this but boo-fcking whoo. Wanting don't make it so.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:21 AM

Push.

-Steve
Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 AM

hes gonna show 77.

-jeff
Old 02-25-2005, 08:49 AM

As many players have stated, once MP raises, this is an easy flop push. People who are assuming you are up against a set are wrong. You could just as easily be up against 2 other hands like AK for the Sb and QJ for MP. If you have some reads like MP will only limp and then call raises with pairs, and hes very tight, then I can see folding as a possible option. But against typical opponents my stack is going in.