Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu - not an O+A fan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their stunt of bringing 50 homeless people by bus to the Short Hills mall with $200 or so in spending cash each was absolutely hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

extremely funny

bums just running around like mad in a mall filled with rich li jap moms

i feel that they are getting back into form with each show that i listen to. It takes a while to regenerate the chemistry that ope-ant- and lil jimmy norton had after being off the air for 15 months or so.

you can't tell someone what is funny, but i just disagree completely. Howard is still amusing sometimes, my personal taste falls in the O&A category though so arguing an opinion is a moot point.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They asked me a few questions and then went off on a vulgar exchange that was absolutely appalling. I’m a gay poker player and they wanted to do was curse about nasty hetero sex and random garbage about titties.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's official ... Danny Boy is homosexual.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Just spent five minutes reading Indy's avatar. Nice [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is another case of stern trying to take credit for something he is really just following.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the previous cases?

O&A were on in chicago for a year or so before getting canned. They were nothing special and I would guess they still are.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 PM

I agree. O&A used to be on in New York in the afternoon and I thought they were hysterical. I haven't heard them for years though. Ron & Fez also very funny.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no stock market expert, but when you have about 1 billion more shares outstanding than your competitor, I'm sure it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shares outstanding doesn't affect your market cap. And I think Sirius's market cap is way too high, even with Howard. But my point was just announcing Howard got investors so excited they added billions to their estimate in value. Not bad for a guy who's over the hill and all washed up...
Old 02-25-2005, 01:22 AM

I used to be a huge Don & Mike fan (I started listening to them when I was in 3rd grade, back in like 1990!). They were really good up until just a few years ago. They just hit a point where they got too old and really aren't very funny any more.

I listen to the local sports show on the drive home now, most of the time.

The best thing going in DC radio right now is The Junkies (previously the Sports Junkies). They originally had a syndicated nighttime show, but then moved to another local station owned by the same company to do a local morning drive show for more money. That station (WHFS) switch to Spanish format a month or two ago, so now they are back on the same local talker as Stern and D&M, doing mid-days. Their contract is up in the fall, and hopefully they can get a better deal worked out.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shares outstanding doesn't affect your market cap. And I think Sirius's market cap is way too high, even with Howard. But my point was just announcing Howard got investors so excited they added billions to their estimate in value. Not bad for a guy who's over the hill and all washed up...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Market capitalization (market cap) </font> is a company's total stock market value, calculated by multiplying the price of a single share by the total number of shares outstanding.

Shares outstanding does affect affect market capitalization a lot.

I will however agree that a company with 2 million shares outstanding priced at $1/share is not more valuable than a company w/ 1 share outstanding priced at $2,000,000.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:08 AM

I am SHOCKED that WHFS switched to a Spanish format. I grew up in NoVa and HFS was one of my favorite stations. I'm astounded that their old format failed. I must really be getting old.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> Market capitalization (market cap) </font> is a company's total stock market value, calculated by multiplying the price of a single share by the total number of shares outstanding.

Shares outstanding does affect affect market capitalization a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The market cap is the value of the companies equity at today's market price. It's immaterial how many shares the company has.

To calculate it requires multiplying the current market price with total shares outstanding. Contradictory? Not really. If the company issues twice as many shares tomorrow, i.e. a stock split (and nothing else changes) then the price per share should drop by half, but the market cap will stay the same.

Now of course I'm simplifying. There are people who think because the stock split they should buy it, and the price isn't going to trade exactly at half. And commonly when companies issue new stock they sell it, changing company valuation, yada yada yada.

But my main point remains. Market price is the "sale price" quoted by the market to buy the all of the company's shares. You need to know shares outstanding to calculate it, but changing the shares outstanding doesn't change the market cap.

The orignal poster was trying to make a connection between the large number of shares Sirius had issued, with it's market cap. Sirius doesn't owe it's large market cap to having lots of shares, it owes it's large market cap to investors who don't know how to value it properly and way overpay for Sirius stock.