Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: greenstein book status

[ QUOTE ]
Boris is apparently on a first name basis with Mason.

[/ QUOTE ]

As am I. "Hey, Mason!" See?

It took me awhile to realize how good Barry is. I'm looking forward to his and especially Gus' book. Although I have a hunch I know what Gus' main mathematical strategy is.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:23 PM

i'm just hoping that everyone is'nt setting themselves up to be disappointed-- myself included. the last time i went out all gun ho to pick up a poker book off the hype was TOP and still to this day, it has'nt lived up to it.

Barry Greenstein is one of the few poker players i really admire, along with Phil Ivey. he's also one of the few players that i actually focus on and listen to when he speaks on the game [poker]. experience has made me a better poker player than people have professed that TOP would. something is telling me that Barry's book also will and subconsciously, i'm believing it. hopefully, this does'nt end up being just another river beat. and if it is, maybe one day Prahlad Friedman (spirit rock, Prefontaine, mahatma), Erik Sagstrom, and Gigabet will author the definitive work on slaughtering the NL game online [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-24-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the last time i went out all gun ho to pick up a poker book off the hype was TOP and still to this day, it has'nt lived up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, wow...if you arent even impressed or at least slightly in favor of TOP, then I dont think any book out there is going to rub your jollies...unless of course its Phil Hellmuths Play like the Pros book.

My guess, u didnt understand TOP. Hell even Daniel Negreanu states its the highest reccommended poker book he can reccommend to anyone. Greg Raymer included, as well as many others. So if it didnt help you out or change anything for u, and u actually read through it...then u need to go back and read it.

Also, if u dont understand TOP how can u understand any other book that would come from some poster you find on here. (also, until u get to high buyins or higher stakes, NL is actually an decent game to beat if u can read people and know what hands work and what doesnt. I found now days to many people screw themselves, trying to trap u into betting big, preflop they dont bet correctly allowing u to see a flop cheap, and if u hit good and get a draw or two pair, they try and trap u with their AA -- most people can just nut peddle, slowplay and try and trap and still make out in this game.)

Man you crack me up.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I have a hunch I know what Gus' main mathematical strategy is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chaos theory. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Wow, relax. He didn't say TOP was a bad book. All he said was that he didn't think it lived up to the hype.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:39 PM

I'll be one of the people who will be purchasing Barry's book. Maybe I'll become the Robin Hood of my home games. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Speaking of books

... you had a website with your own book draft that you were developing. Did anything ever come of that?

Assuming this is THE King Yao, of course. I don't have the site- I think I remember suddenly developing connection problems with it.

Any help?

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [i] I just viewed your bio in preparation for a PM to you... don't I feel stupid
Old 02-26-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the last time i went out all gun ho to pick up a poker book off the hype was TOP and still to this day, it has'nt lived up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, wow...if you arent even impressed or at least slightly in favor of TOP, then I dont think any book out there is going to rub your jollies...unless of course its Phil Hellmuths Play like the Pros book.

My guess, u didnt understand TOP. Hell even Daniel Negreanu states its the highest reccommended poker book he can reccommend to anyone. Greg Raymer included, as well as many others. So if it didnt help you out or change anything for u, and u actually read through it...then u need to go back and read it.

Also, if u dont understand TOP how can u understand any other book that would come from some poster you find on here. (also, until u get to high buyins or higher stakes, NL is actually an decent game to beat if u can read people and know what hands work and what doesnt. I found now days to many people screw themselves, trying to trap u into betting big, preflop they dont bet correctly allowing u to see a flop cheap, and if u hit good and get a draw or two pair, they try and trap u with their AA -- most people can just nut peddle, slowplay and try and trap and still make out in this game.)

Man you crack me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you assume i did'nt understand TOP because i said it did'nt live up [IMO] to the hype that people bestowed upon it. different strokes for different folks. i happened to be a part of a minority on 2+2 who just was'nt overly impressed with the book even if the author happen to be David Sklansky, no offense. it does'nt matter to me whether Daniel Negreanu endorsed the book or Greg Raymer. i've learned my lesson from running behind the declarations of what some would call the "magnum opus" of poker books. next time i'll trust my instincts when i'm thumbing through the next IT poker book at Borders .

hopefully Barry's will be better.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, relax. He didn't say TOP was a bad book. All he said was that he didn't think it lived up to the hype.

[/ QUOTE ]

[key phrase] "He did'nt say TOP was a bad book. All he said was that he did'nt think it lived up to the hype".

does anyone else not get this?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:28 AM

I remember you.

You're still very wrong about TOP.

But since I've already been over it with you before, I'll refrain from doing so again.

[ QUOTE ]
[key phrase] "He did'nt say TOP was a bad book. All he said was that he did'nt think it lived up to the hype".

does anyone else not get this?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I get it.