Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 10:43 PM

Default KQs 8-way action for 2 bets or 5 bets?

You're in the big blind w/ K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . UTG raises (doesn't mean a ton) and everyone calls to you. If you call, it will be 8-way action for 2 SB each. If you make it 3 bets, it is almost guaranteed to end up capped (5 SB) with 8-way action.

Raise or call?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Re: KQs 8-way action for 2 bets or 5 bets?

I'd probably raise. GAMBOL!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2002, 12:36 AM

I think you should get this sucker capped then. You have a premium multiway hand. I guarantee that many of your seven opponents don't... and you don't seem to have any good reason to believe that you are dominated.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:44 AM

This is a no brainer cap it, don't worry about your poor position.

RINCON
Old 12-05-2002, 02:23 AM

Ullyses,

I might be in the minority here, but if this is capped, you really don't leave yourself many options after the flop, because the pot will be so big, that the correct play with almost any draw will be to stay in until the end. I would rather give myself the chance to outplay my opponents, even if that means folding after the flop.

Good Luck,
Play Well

Bob T.
Old 12-05-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Results

but if this is capped, you really don't leave yourself many options after the flop

Ah, Bob. Exactly why I posted this. Here's what happened.

I did indeed raise with Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , feeling pretty good about this hand going 8 ways for a lot of bucks. And it did indeed get capped (5SB).

Flop comes: Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

SB bets. I raise. MP 3 bets. Pretty much everyone calls. Maybe it gets 4 bet.

Turn comes a beautiful K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks. I bet. MP raises (is he on a set?) A few callers to me. I 3-bet. MP 4-bets. I think MP may well be ahead of me (but not necessarily), but decide to cap anyway with about 6 way action.

River comes an ugly 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] SB checks. I bet. MP calls. Everyone folds to SB who check-raises. I call. MP overcalls. SB shows Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . MP turns over Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

SB is a pretty tight player. I think that had it been 2 SB pre-flop instead of 5, there's a good chance he doesn't call 2 bets back to him on the flop. However, with this pot, he's calling all the way. Not sure if I'm just being results-oriented or if there's actually good reason to keep the multi-way pot smaller pre-flop even with a holding like this.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Hello,Magorkong! Sounds like sound advice to me! n/m

Old 12-05-2002, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Results

However, with this pot, he's calling all the way.

With three outs to a 9 and one out to a runner-runner flush, I want Qs9s calling every time on this flop.

I think you are being results oriented, this is clearly a hand you want Qs9s to call you down on.

Who cares about your options post-flop, you want to put money into the pot while you are the favorite, and KQs wins well more than 1/8 of the time in an 8 way pot.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:20 PM

Cap it.

Fin