Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Re; the $20 ante

let's have a 10/20 HOE night sometime soon.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 AM

Yeah. Let's not do it on the night the po-po come storming in. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 AM

I used to play the 10-20 HOE game at the other place, but it no longer goes. Are you saying it's moved uptown?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Macauly Culkin and Hank Azaria were at a certain UWS club in NYC

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:08 PM

The $5,000 relates to the crime of advancing/profiting from gambling by bookmaking to the extent of recieving/accepting in one day > 5 bets totaling > $5K which is the E felony Promoting Gambling in the First Degree. If it doesn't qualify as bookmaking or the amount is < $5K then it's a misdemeanor, promoting gambling in the 2nd degree, to advance or profit from unlawful gambling activity. The definitions of advancing and profiting from gambling exclude players.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Default ritzy?

I assumed I knew which place this was, especially since I've seen HA there before, but then I read the part about it being ritzy.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ritzy? As in like the cracker maybe. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The $5,000 relates to the crime of advancing/profiting from gambling by bookmaking to the extent of recieving/accepting in one day > 5 bets totaling > $5K which is the E felony Promoting Gambling in the First Degree. If it doesn't qualify as bookmaking or the amount is < $5K then it's a misdemeanor, promoting gambling in the 2nd degree, to advance or profit from unlawful gambling activity. The definitions of advancing and profiting from gambling exclude players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please describe the risks that players face as well. Why do people who know the risks and the enevitable results choose to open or work for poker rooms in NYC?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Please describe the risks that players face as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The following does not constitute legal advice just my understanding --

I think it has been described here before. Players face no criminal penalty for playing cards. They can be charged with loitering which is a violation under New York state law. A violation is less than a misdemeanor or a felony and does not constitute a criminal record -- it is like a traffic ticket or a ticket for not cleaning your sidewalk.

Also, loitering statutes have been struck down frequently around the country based on them being unconstitutional (right to assemble, etc.).

Of course, players risk what they have on the table in chips. If they are at a table with $5,000 in chips when a club is raided they may never see that money.

My understanding is that they might also detain players and check IDs against outstanding warrants, etc. I have also heard that they can take you to the station if you don't have ID on you.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people who know the risks and the enevitable results choose to open or work for poker rooms in NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 PM

Regarding the risks to players, see my 2 posts in another thread on this in the last few weeks. If you search for my username they'll be easy to find.