Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 06:43 PM

Default A sure sign of a bad player

I am amazed by how many players post in bad postions when new to a table. Every day I see players post 1, 2 or 3 spots before the big blind. This must cost them a fair bit on a yearly basis if they play regularly. I might do some figures on this.

But one thing is for certain 99% of the time those players that post in incorrect postions are bad players. 1% of the time it might be a mistake when they hit autopost or something like that.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:28 PM

Default Re: A sure sign of a bad player

But one thing is for certain 99% of the time those players that post in incorrect postions are bad players.

this is a very astute observation. one in which i had chosen never to share, but since the cat is out of the bag.....

these are players that are looking for action, and as tommy said, you can BANK on the fact that they are fish.
(watch for reverse tell on this if it becomes common discussion though)

Old 12-04-2002, 07:47 PM

I almost ALWAYS post when in a new game, especially in no limit.

I figure that I am going to be there for several hours, and I don't like to alert the table that I'm pretty tight without even playing a hand.

I think even fish can work out that someone who DOESN'T post is a sure sign of a strong player.

Lori
Old 12-04-2002, 07:59 PM

I think even fish can work out that someone who DOESN'T post is a sure sign of a strong player

Whereas a "good" player automatically assumes you are a fish if you post in bad position. I agree with Lori, if I plan to play awhile, I like to post from any post from any position. Cheap advertising for the "good" players.

Hotchile
Old 12-04-2002, 08:52 PM

I AGREE WHIT YOU LORI........... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 10:54 PM

especially in no limit.

actually, this is a good point. my post should have said the exception is in NL & PL, where the blinds are pocket change.

let's say i meant 5-10 and up
Old 12-05-2002, 02:31 AM

Default Another sure sign of a bad player. . . . . .

if the player uses the name " bull7".(sigh)
Old 12-05-2002, 04:48 AM

You can't make money if you're not playing. Waiting for button to pass takes too much time where you're not playing. So, I say get in and play especially if game is loose. But I am a bad player so what do I know.

On a related note, my mentor pooppoop says that you should ALWAYS wait for Big Blind before leaving a table. I disagree with this too. For example, you're at pokerroom.com playing 1/2 at Table A which is 42% players/flop and $12 avg pot and you just finished paying blinds. All of a sudden a seat opens up at Table B which is 59% players/flop and $20 avg pot. You are first on waiting list and long line behind you. You can't wait for BB at Table A, you gotta go to Table B and get in on the action. And by the way, you post immeadiately even if UTG.

Have I proven myself as an idiot yet? I'm trying hard.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:49 AM

Good observations Tommy. And conversely if a player entering a game waits for the button to pass to post, he is usually a decent player.
Old 12-05-2002, 06:10 AM

On a related note, my mentor pooppoop says that you should ALWAYS wait for Big Blind before leaving a table. I disagree with this too.

I've never quite been ever to figure this one out. Would you ever sit into a game thinking, "ok, I'm gonna play 7-8 hands and then get out of the game"? Isn't that what waiting for the BB to leave is essentially saying? I may be missing something here, but I think that once you have made the decision to leave the game, leave the game is what you should do. I sincerely don't think that "waiting" to leave is conducive to playing your best. Unless you're hoping to use the line, "I should've left when....."

Hotchile