Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which hand would you rather have in the big blind in hold 'em?
7,8s 15 23.08%
5,5 50 76.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Poll - what is your skill level compared to your bankroll?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what this question means? I have an idea of what you are getting at, but I don't think it makes any sense at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes lots o sense. Moreover, I think it can be mathematically quantified.

For each limit you could play, there is a win rate and standard deviation. From these, the required bankroll can be calculated.

At some limit, the win rate in $/hr falls below the win rate for the lower level. The lower of these two levels could be considered your skill level (e.g if you can beat 3/6 for $10/hr but only beat 4/8 for $8/hr your skill level is 3/6). At your skill level, does your bankroll exceed or fall short of that dictated by your win rate and s.d. at that level.

I'm massively over bankrolled at 1/2 but haven't yet consistently beaten 2/4, so for me the answer was easy.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:37 AM

This would be true if your assumption that higher limit = higher skill level is correct. I don't believe it is.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM

I'm bankrolled for 20/40 limit or 2/5 NL, but instead I play 2/4 limit and 1/2 NL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Would I be classified as risk averse?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would be true if your assumption that higher limit = higher skill level is correct. I don't believe it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

His assumption is much more likely than yours (which is that there are a significant number of relatively skilled poker players who are idiots) is.

I mean, you'd have to be an idiot to play at 2-4 when 3-6 or 5-10 is easier, right? Before anyone mentions it, bankroll concerns should really only be a temporary issue - if the higher limit games were truly easier.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM

This post made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

Btw, I voted bankroll larger than skill. However I am taking the Raymer view point of never playing with money not won on the tables. In my poker account I have being rolled for .5/1 (assuming 300BB) to now having enough double the 300BB for 5/10. However, I am still grinding the 3/6 and just jumped into some short-handed games as I hope to make it to the 5/10 6-max within the coming months.