Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2002, 03:04 AM

Default Position Dilemma

As I approched the table, I noticed two empty seats, and this left me with a bit of a dilemma. If I choose the 5 seat, I'd have two tough players behind me (in 6 and 8) and two really bad (call and chase way too much) players on my right (in 2 and 4).

Alternatively I could take the 9 seat and act after the tough players, but before the bad ones.

So, given this situation, which position is better?

Thanks.
Misha

Old 12-04-2002, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Position Dilemma

If the tough players are tight, you don't mind them on your left that much. They will take full advantage of their position on you when they have it, but most of the time you won't both be playing. On the other hand the bad players probably are in pots a lot, so most of the hands that you play you'll have position on them.

On the other hand, if the good players are tough but a bit loose, which is surprisingly common, then you might be better off with them on your right. The problem is that acting last is so good that even though it will be bad players who have position on you, you will so rarely be last to act that you have to play a little more "on your belly".
Old 12-04-2002, 11:17 AM

i think that being the button for #2's big blind is maybe the best thing since these guys will always call but if the game is real loose this may not matter.

i think a big part of it is how well you play out of position. i would like to see an article about that from one of the great players.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

put the tough players to your left...

you want the bad players money to have to go thru you first. meaning, you want first crack at acting on their money before the tough guys do...

b
Old 12-04-2002, 04:40 PM

This is not even a close decision sit with the good players to your left.This is a great chance to isolate the bad players and yourself.Raise the bad players with mediocre holdings like A/10 , KQ, 88, J/10s {if you know that you can outplay these players}this will put pressure on the good players on your left.If these are indeed good or great players they are going to do this to you if your on thier left.Put it this way if they raise the bad players in front of you then you will always be faced making decions wether or not to call a double bet with beter holdings.Put pressure on the good players by sitting in front of them and raising more often than normal.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM

The button for 2's big blind would be seat 10, not seats 9 or 5.

Out of position to who? The 5 seat gives you position on the bad players, and the 9 seat gives you position of the toughies.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:41 PM

This is a great chance to isolate the bad players and yourself.Raise the bad players with mediocre holdings like A/10 , KQ, 88, J/10s {if you know that you can outplay these players}this will put pressure on the good players on your left.

You just put 3 bets into the pot with ATo while out of position against a tough opponent.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:06 PM

Thats not what I said mayby Im not real clear with my posts.Anyway what I ment Is: If you get one or two bad players on your right{Im assuming they play too many hands}If you raise preflop[after the bad players have called] with mediocre hands with A hand like A/10 a good player on your left proubly wont call with SLIGHTLY beter hands.Now if you get behind the good players he can reverse the table on you.You or me will have to lay down A/Qo A/J,7/7,ect. to a raise preflop.Take the seat with the good players on your left,and the bad players on your right.Raise and try and isolate the bad players and yourself.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:07 AM

I'm becoming more and more a fan of having tough players on my left all the time. That is, assuming when you say tough that you mean they play tight. Having a very tight player on your left lets be last to act after the flop a lot more often.

If they play loose before the flop, but very well after the flop, I'd probably rather have them on my right.

Either way, base your decison on the tough players not the calling stations. I think you should always pick your seat based on the really good players and the maniacs, not the people that fall in between.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:20 AM

Well, my two cents.

If the game is "loose" such that there is typically 4 or more players in before the flop, I tend to put the most reliable information on my right. In tighter games I tend to put the tightest players on my left.