Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: flop decision oesd and pair

Yeah, sorry, just a bad day at work. Nice post, though.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 PM

Thanks a lot (no sarcasm).

The raise by y struck me for some reason as weak--I can't say exactly why. I'd been taking down some nice pots. I felt like he had a piece of the flop but nothing great and was making a stand against me. x was not a concern--I'd beaten him enough that I could get him to fold anything but a real solid hand.

And so I thought that my hole cards did not so much matter and that a raise to 12 would win me the hand right there. That I had outs was a bonus. And so what did I do? I was five minutes away from my predetermined stopping time and folded. But wished I hadn't, both after I folded and after I saw their cards at showdown (X was holding ac6c; Y had 7sTc). I wish I had followed my instincts on the flop.

In any case, thanks to all for the comments. Helpful as always.

Worst--I've been playing my normal game and then trying to play Fimbul's, once I've gotten a couple buy ins. Ain't been successful at it--finding it very difficult to find my bearings when raising so much and with cards I ain't used to raising. And so I'm taking smaller steps. Just taking small pieces of his strategy and applying them.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 PM

If you had a read that they were weak, and that they could be pushed off their hands, and wanted to go with it, then that is fine. In general, though, I think you made the right play. Bluffing here is just not a good idea. The best idea at SSNL is just to use your hand reading skills to get an accurate hand range for your opponents and to value bet the heck out of them when you are likely to be ahead. Here, you are likely behind and your draw is not to the nuts, so folding is definitely the best ABC play.

As I mentioned in at least one other thread recently, though, I am nowhere near as good as Fimbul and can't play his style well. So if you were trying to play more aggressively in marginal situations and thought this would be a good place to try to buy the pot, I am certainly not going to say that you are wrong. I just don't think it is the right ABC play. Doesn't mean it is not the right play. Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:11 PM

Exactly--for metagame reasons I really like a reraise on the flop here, even if I end up losing. But I folded and called it a night.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the welcoming, (trail)
As for my grammar my online writting is not so up to par. I don't feel the need to be grammatically correct on non-interview, ungraded writting! LoL but in the future i will atleast preview and make sure my stuff is readable. I agree my last post was as sloppy as Jack Black in orange county. As for the proper play by the books it was to fold the hand I agree with that. However my style and the slight read I picked up from the post says a Semi-Bluff would pick off that pot and those players. by raising so high you crush their odds plus, one will almost certainly fold increasing your win percentage by having only one player trying to draw out on you now. If he calls and a scare.... ahhh its late...... just fold the hand if your out of time and only a buck fifty into it!! I'd love to hear Sklankys point of view tho.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 AM

Yeah, I never meant to come across as a grammar nazi, so sorry if I did. My eyes were probably just blurry at the time or I was annoyed with something (it happens a lot these days). Anyways, welcome again and I appreciated the reference to Jack Black in OC where he was questionable at best. Now his cameo in Anchorman on the other hand...Brilliant. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- Trail
Old 02-24-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by raising so high you crush their odds plus, one will almost certainly fold increasing your win percentage by having only one player trying to draw out on you now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm....since you undoubtedly do not have the hand with the highest present showdown value, they don't need 'odds' or 'to draw out on you'.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 AM

A very good point, indeed.