Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Multi Book Forums

Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that most of the people who are against this idea are people who have little or no interest in participating in the discussions, anyway.

What possible difference can a few additional forums or threads make? If you're going to have these discussions at all, how can it possibly be better to just throw everything into one thread?

The only negative I can see is for those who are just opposed to discussing the book at all and see this as a step in the wrong direction or those who view 2+2 as a "chat" site and don't want the "chat" diluted by parsing it into too many sub-topics.

If you have a substantive thought about a book, looking in a dedicated forum isn't going to be a problem. If, on the other hand, all you want is to make sure you don't miss the latest update on Jennicide's next boyfriend ...well, I guess I can see why you might be concerned.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bradley:

The request is for titles.

best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always in favor of expanding the forum when it's needed, but I'm not a fan of this particular idea.

Honestly, I'm not sure there is enough traffic in the books forum to warrant so many new forums devoted soley to specific books.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure we're quite 'there' yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM

I think it's a great idea.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 AM

What about a sticky that lists standardized abbreviations for the common books and establishes a standard of titling posts like this: "SSHE: ####", "TOP: YYYYY", "HOH: ZZZ"? If followed, such a standard would significantly improve search results.

Scott
Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 AM

I have a question for Mason or Chuck regarding the programming of this forum and the alternate suggestions for sticky threads here on individual titles, although it could be used in other forum categories as well.

The question is: can an individual thread such as a sticky thread for such a purpose, be set so the the thread starts with the last post when you click on it and is thus last to first order? This would allow such a sticky post to have the most current posts more easily available when such threads could get very long.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 AM

This seems like an idea just to sell more 2+2 books because I doubt you are going to have a few hundred forums for every single poker book available. Maybe a book review section would make things a bit easier.

You would be better off adding a few more forums for different limits. Maybe a low limit/high limit HUSH forum, a middle limit forum for 5/10 and 10/20 (2/4 is way different from 10/20). You could also add a bad beat forum or other OT forums so people can quit posting this stuff in regular forums.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:28 AM

Hiya -

I've read through the thread.

There may some players who just picked up a copy of the newest book [insert title here] who begin reading it. Then, in order to grasp the concept(s), they want a discussion about it. Some of us picked the same book, like years ago, and don't want to discuss it any further because it's a dead topic to them. Others point the new user to the search function for the archived discussion.

I understand the unwillingness to discuss a book that has been rehashed, but what about the new player who wants to generate a discussion, doesn't get any constructive feedback, and then considers another website discussion group? I have Harrington's book and the new Super/System book and have just begun reading them. Many of you have already devoured Harrington's book (SS2, not so sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), and are eagerly anticipating volume two. The player that joins us in two weeks because that player just bought a 2 + 2 book for the first time I think would benefit of having a thread/forum to discuss the book they are trying to learn.

So, I think it's a good idea. I'm definitely in the minority though.

FWIW

PB
Old 02-24-2005, 08:51 AM

I'm unlikely to ever read a forum dedicated to a single book. Maybe this is just me, but I imagine not.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There has been requests to establish multi-book forums corresponding to different books. From the point of view of Two Plus Two Publishing LLC there are some drawbacks to this. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. So I'm going to kick it around for a few days and then we'll make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it but I sure was wrong about the TV forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Better idea: Given we no longer have a "Vince Lepore" forum why not try a "mike l." forum. Mike is even more neurotic and entertaining than Vince!

~ Rick
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 PM

I think the split of the software topics to a different forum was a terrific idea, but I vote to keep the books together.

This is how you find out about new, good ones. I might not browse through 3 or 4 different forums, but I sure read this (at least I look at the topics) on a regular basis.

Just an opinion...