Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 01:28 PM

Default EPT Deauville Report: Day 1

DAY 1:

The first day was very difficult. We had just flown in from Seattle the night before and jet lag led to me feeling like crap the whole day. Getting no hands helped tire me out as well. At the first break, 2 levels in, I had 8950 in chips, seeing a total of zero flops. One hand I had 66 in the CO. With blinds 50/100, UTG raised to 300 and UTG+1 called. I came along then the SB raised to 2K. UTG pushed and we had AA for UTG against KK for the SB. Exciting, huh?

I wasn’t too worried. With 10,000 starting chips, I could afford to be patient and wait for good opportunities. The next 3 hours were more of the same. I picked up AKo twice and came over the top of a very attractive, weak-tight French chick both times. She folded and I was able to stay around 9K in chips. During hour number 6, antes started up (150/300 25a) and I started stealing a bit. I was in the 4 seat and I picked on the 98 year-old French lady in seat 8 and the pretty young French girl in seat 10. The antiquated French lady would look at my raise, ask the dealer something in French (probably “how much?”), then scrunch her face up in bitter-beer fashion, shake her head, and muck. She did this every single time. The pretty French girl was less animated, giving me her chips without unnecessary theatrics.

ZeeJustin sat down in the 2 seat toward the end of level 6. I considered remaining anonymous but decided to introduce myself before his first hand. He proceeds to raise about twice an orbit and really screw up the table dynamic. At least I finally get some hands:

Blinds still 150/300 25a. I have about 10K chips. UTG open-limps and leaves himself with 2700 chips. Folded to me in the CO-1 and I raise to 1200 with 88. It folds around to the limper who thinks for a while then pushes. This guy was pretty horrible and the call is pretty automatic. He has ATo, spikes a T on the turn and takes a 3K dent out of my stack. Maybe I should have raised to 1500. All I really wanted was the dead money. The French grandma was the BB!

A few hands later, with 7500 chips, I look down and see JJ in the BB. Sweet! UTG opens for 800, weak-tight girl cold calls and Justin makes it 2400 on the button. Damn! I guess this is a pretty easy fold but Justin had been opening a ton of pots and JJ was the biggest hand I had seen all day. I hem and haw but finally fold, as do UTG and hot French girl. Justin flashes me QQ and I rejoice. He gets moved a little later and I rejoice again.

We take our third and final break of the day and I have 7,025 chips. I mention to my friend Steve that all I want to do over the last 2 hours is double up twice and end with 30,000 chips. That’s not too much to ask, is it?

I steal a bit and pick my spots but still get no hands. We move to hour 8, the last hour of play for the day, and I still only have about 7500 chips.

With blinds 300/600 75a, I pick up AdQd UTG, open for 1500 and it folds to the BB. He’s a young French kid who is very aggrsssive. He re-raises to 7K and I have a pretty tough decision on my hands. I decide that the combination of his aggression and my loose image make this a situation where I may be in real good shape. Well, it’s now or never and I push all-in for 7,525 total. He looks kinda pissed, and starts chatting with his friend in French. I hear, “blah blah blah, AJ, blah blah.” I should have stopped them from talking but it was only 525 more to him so essentially the hand was over. Plus, I was pretty excited to hear that he had AJ. He finally calls and I double up. 16,100 in chips!

Now I really start to open up and steal my way up to about 20K in chips. Peter Reichart, an eventual final tablist, sits down in seat 6, 2 to my left with a mountain of chips. I continue to open and he’s getting real perturbed. One hand, I open to 1500 with KTs in the CO-1 and he raises to 6K on the button. I don’t think he has too much but I can’t play that hand out of position. I fold and he looks satisfied.

One orbit later, I open with K8o in the CO. Peter calls in the SB and we’re heads up. The flop is a 975 rainbow. He checks, I bet 1500, a little less than half the pot, and he calls. The turn is a T, putting 2 diamonds on board, and he checks very sneakily. I’m not sure what’s up but I have an OESD and an overcards. I’d hate to get check-raised off of this hand. I check behind and we see the 6d on the river for a final board of T9765 with 3 diamonds. Now he leads for 1500. I consider just calling in case he has the flush but I really want to protect the identity of my hand. I don’t want the world to know that I open with K8o so I raise to 6000. He goes into the tank and I’m very pleased. If he calls I win 4500 more chips. If he mucks, I keep my looseness under wraps. He eventually calls and disgustedly shows me 55 for bottom set. Send it! I’m up around 30K and rolling.

Everyone’s wrapping up and our table is playing our final hand. It folds to the button(the guy who doubled me up) and he raises to 3K. I look down and see AJo and decide I want that money too. People are usually a bit tighter on the last hand of the day so I raise to 8K. He shows me 66 as he quickly folds.

Man. I guess that’s how it’s supposed to work, huh? 7 hours of patience rewarded by 1 hour of fun. I go into day 2 with just over 33K in chips, good for 14th overall out of 105 or so. Carl only has 16K but Justin has a 50K stack. I say a little prayer that we don't sit together on day 2 and head back to the hotel. I'm absolutely exhausted but really happy with how the day went.

I'm too lazy to continue. Day 2 coming...whenever I get the energy. Let me know if you want fewer details and more hands or if you think I suck. There is more action on day 2 and I shudder when I think of how long that could end up.

Schaefer
Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: EPT Deauville Report: Day 1

sweet man

keep up the solid play and take it down.

as for zee.....kid is on a tear. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 PM

More of the same, please!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:33 PM

Yes more more more. Nice playing and good luck
Old 02-23-2005, 02:47 PM

FYI, he doesnt need the luck anymore. I really dont want to be the spoiler here. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Yeah, sorry if I confused anyone. This is just a multi-part recap. Working on Day 2 as we speak.

Schaefer
Old 02-23-2005, 03:23 PM

Great report and awesome job. Like many others here I enjoyed following the action on the blog. Any plans to hit the tournament circuit or are you going to keep it real?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:15 PM

Good job. Both on the win and the report. The balance of the report is just right, I'd like to read more. Guess day 2 brings more action.
Giving two entries to MC was great! Will you go to Vienna before MC?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 PM

excellent report
cant wait for day 2
Old 02-23-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know if you want fewer details and more hands or if you think I suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about more details and more hands? Make the report as long as possible, I'll read it.