Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Default 5/10 Bottom Set

5/10 NL

Hero in UTG + 1 with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] w/ ~ 800
Villain is in CO and has me covered
SB is short stacked and has about ~200

Have been sitting for a few hours and have a tight/solid image. Villain is aggressive and will often raise at any sign of weakness, especially regarding bet size. SB just sat down an orbit before with a small buy-in.

UTG folds, Hero calls 10, Folded to Villain in CO who calls ~10, SB completes and BB checks.

FLOP: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $10, BB folds, Hero calls $10, CO raises to $40, SB calls $30, Hero calls $30.

I think its fairly obvious that not popping a substantial re-raise here was my first, and probably biggest, mistake in this hand. I had firm belief that I was holding the best hand and was fairly certain that Villain would bet no matter what hit the turn, where i could put in a CR.

TURN: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pot = $160

SB checks, Hero checks, Villain bets $80, SB calls, <font color="red"> </font> Hero raises to $240, Villain quickly calls $160, SB calls ~$70 and is all-in.

At this point it is fairly clear to me that the SB has clubs and was right to call in this spot. Villain is somewhat of a mystery still. The quick call suggests a draw but he's tricky so I don't want to put too much merit into his speed of play. I think my second mistake came here...probably should have raised to about $350 (pot-sized raise)rather than $240. What should my plan of action be for the river? Comments on other streets also appreciated. I'll post the rest of the hand later on.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Bottom Set

I probably re-raise against the first raise on the flop. It's a dangerous board. Any broadway or any club is a scare card for you here.

But calling, and then with the re-raise, I think you have to push. It's 30 to you, and SB has ~150 (and will have ~120 after calling). Why not just raise to $100? Then SB will either have to fold or push, and if he pushes you get to bet again when it gets around to you unless CO folds.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM

Pushing is certainly not an option. Raising to an amount that will put the SB all-in is indeed another story altogether.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Failure to raise this flop is really, really bad.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:30 PM

I would have led out the flop with a pot size bet, you probably get a call from the agro if has K o Q, maybe even a raise. From my experience most players expect you to check a set. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to take down the pot right there with bottom set.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing is certainly not an option. Raising to an amount that will put the SB all-in is indeed another story altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant getting all in on the flop, not once it got around to you. Sorry about the wording.