Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: What do you do during a Big downswing?

I polish my revolver and look threateningly at my BB/100 in Pokertracker.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Do you play the ponies?

My first love was the racetrack, when I'm running bad at cards I buy the Racing Form and handicap one or two tracks.
It gets my mind going on something other than cards 24/7.

Then, when I return to cards it feels like I'm working with a clean slate. So far so good with that method...

Good Luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 09:59 PM

I hit a nasty 260BB downswing this month. I just read up on the forums, reviewed my play, and tried not to lose to much sleep over it.

I actually feel it helped to to open my eyes to some serious leaks in my game. Although a bad run of cards is usually a key factor you must also be open to the possibility that there may be some user error involved as well. It becomes much harder to do this when the cards are hitting, which can easily leave you blind to some substantial leaks.

So just keep working on making smart decisions and hopefully you will find that good results soon follow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

randr
Old 02-22-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually it will even out, but it isn't going to even out by not playing. On the other hand, if you continue with altered play and make bad decisions, its best to take a break for a few days or maybe a few weeks and come back with a clear head and even temper

stuff like this is said so much, and seems so easy to understand, yet i would not be surprised if most people didnt adhdere to it. i have been running pretty bad since early january and shook most of it off, and even had the maturity to step down a few levels. unfortunatly, my game eventually stepped down a few levels.

i just finally realized that i have been playing really bad the past week or so. fortunatly, playing very tight is as second nature as washing from top to bottom, so it wasnt 'that' bad, but i made just about every post flop mistake you can make. i can deal with losing (i have to) but playing bad just makes me question why i even play this game.

so my new resolve is to play the best poker that i can and let ther results fall where they may and at the first sign of poor play (usually weak ass call downs) i stop and take at least a one day break. i am not good enough to overcome this form of tilt, and i doubt most of you are either.

tough times dont last, tough people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put Thx
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hit a nasty 260BB downswing this month. I just read up on the forums, reviewed my play, and tried not to lose to much sleep over it.

I actually feel it helped to to open my eyes to some serious leaks in my game. Although a bad run of cards is usually a key factor you must also be open to the possibility that there may be some user error involved as well. It becomes much harder to do this when the cards are hitting, which can easily leave you blind to some substantial leaks.

So just keep working on making smart decisions and hopefully you will find that good results soon follow [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

randr

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reviewing all of my play right now actually and trying to plug leaks, that is why I started another thread that is titled, My Leak AJo and AJs, Need Help! So I'm not afriad to look at my own play and critque. I think that this downswing is starting to affect some of my play as well, and that's what really kinda ticks me off the most. Time to get my A game back!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 PM

I was there playing 40-80 on Sunday...I'm sure we've probably seen each other, but I'm not sure who you are. Game was VERY good, but huge swings of course.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2005, 12:21 AM

Throw things.... big things at you closet door (not my closet door... it already has big dents... and besides, if you're throwing things at my closet door... gonna have to go postal on ya... shouldn't be in my house).

Don't throw the monitor... it will make you tilt more once you realize that's an extra 100BB you just threw.

Screwdrivers are ok... but not if they're longer than 6"... they will go through the door. That is bad.

Those ceramic coasters are pretty nice. Throw the ones that don't absorb the water anymore, because, they ain't coming back in one piece.

Big note: Don't throw anything lightweight (like the squeeze toy from PS). You will throw out your shoulder.

Make sure the Coke can is empty before tossing.

Chairs make a big noise... they are good... but the dents are hard to remove (note... dents because the door is metal).

Mrs. Dash (or any other spices) will crack open and requires cleanup and another visit to the store.

Calculators don't work after a rebound off the door (especially the solar powered ones).

Glass will come back to bite you days later... bad idea...

Used cds are pretty good, but watch out where they bounce to. May damage a speaker... and the tilting worsens (another 100BB).

That's about it... if you have a closet door... then use it.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so my new resolve is to play the best poker that i can and let ther results fall where they may and at the first sign of poor play (usually weak ass call downs) i stop and take at least a one day break. i am not good enough to overcome this form of tilt, and i doubt most of you are either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have trouble with weak ass calldowns when I'm losing too. I was reading one of Sgt. Rock's trip reports(highly recommended), and he quoted someone, Mike Caro I think. "It's OK to play your best game all of the time." I almost printed this and posted it by my monitors. I may yet do it.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Throw things.... big things at you closet door (not my closet door... it already has big dents... and besides, if you're throwing things at my closet door... gonna have to go postal on ya... shouldn't be in my house).

Don't throw the monitor... it will make you tilt more once you realize that's an extra 100BB you just threw.

Screwdrivers are ok... but not if they're longer than 6"... they will go through the door. That is bad.

Those ceramic coasters are pretty nice. Throw the ones that don't absorb the water anymore, because, they ain't coming back in one piece.

Big note: Don't throw anything lightweight (like the squeeze toy from PS). You will throw out your shoulder.

Make sure the Coke can is empty before tossing.

Chairs make a big noise... they are good... but the dents are hard to remove (note... dents because the door is metal).

Mrs. Dash (or any other spices) will crack open and requires cleanup and another visit to the store.

Calculators don't work after a rebound off the door (especially the solar powered ones).

Glass will come back to bite you days later... bad idea...

Used cds are pretty good, but watch out where they bounce to. May damage a speaker... and the tilting worsens (another 100BB).

That's about it... if you have a closet door... then use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, broken much? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 AM

I FREQUENTLY go over hands that I just played to see if I played them correctly. I take breaks when I get stressed out, and I take a walk or run a little. If you're stressed and frustrated you're not going to get over that just by sitting and playing for 12 hours straight.

The downswings are tough, but remember that they are very normal. Good players have suffered downswings as big as 500BB, so don't let the fact that the cards aren't hitting you convince you that you're not beating the game. On the other hand, be constantly critical of your own play and make sure you aren't making bad mistakes.