Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Rules question about betting in pot limit.

Here's the situation.

===
We're playing pot limit Hold 'Em. We are using white chips worth $1 and red chips worth $5.

After the flop, Person A checks. Person B bets $3 with three white chips. Person C calls the $3.

Person A raises to $6 using one red chip and one white chip.

Person B puts out two red chips in one motion and sweeps back the three white chips in front of him after dropping the two red chips. So there is $10 in front of Person B. Person B does not say anything.

Did Person B technically call or raise?

===

We could not find a ruling on this in our copy of Robert's Rules. Yes, if Person B had verbalized his action, it would have been clear. But that was not the case.

For further discussion (clarification), Person C then calls $6 because he thought Person B had called and not raised. Person B then says he raised to $10.

===
Any information on the rules and how this should be handled is appreciated.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Rules question about betting in pot limit.

If he doesn't say raise, it is a call. I am pretty sure of this.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. Verbal action is binding. Non-verbal action is interpreted as either check or call.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. Verbal action is binding. Non-verbal action is interpreted as either check or call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. It's not that simple. A single oversized chip with no verbal action is a call. He threw out two chips in one motion, so that should be a raise.

Suppose someone bet $5 (by throwing out a red chip) and you threw out four red chips. That should be interpreted as a raise to $20. As you are stating the rules, without a verbal declaration, it would be taken as a call of $5 which seems ridiculuos. If you threw out a green chip, it would be a call, however.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. It's not that simple. A single oversized chip with no verbal action is a call. He threw out two chips in one motion, so that should be a raise.

Suppose someone bet $5 (by throwing out a red chip) and you threw out four red chips. That should be interpreted as a raise to $20. As you are stating the rules, without a verbal declaration, it would be taken as a call of $5 which seems ridiculuos. If you threw out a green chip, it would be a call, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure. Just last week at foxwoods someone thru out multiple red chips and didn't say anything. The ruling was that it was a call.