Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: No longer pro. Have any questions?

[ QUOTE ]
The nazi newspaper was Volkische Beobachter, the translation of which I forget....

[/ QUOTE ]

"Peoples Observer"

Congrats and gl on your new life
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 PM

working for gmail? very nice. i heart gmail.

congrats on your success, and even bigger congrats on being sensible enough to grab a great "real-life" opportunity when you got the chance.

one question: do you think your 24-hour challenge had any effect on your decision that you'd had enough of "grinding poker for a living?"
Old 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM

So the guy on party multi-tabling 15-30 with a screen name of bisonbison is not you? Please ignore my earlier question regarding the differences between limits.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:52 PM

Congrats Bison.

Two points-

1. Everybody guessing about Bison's BB/100 and his ability to live needs to think about rakeback. Given the hours he was putting his, his rakeback is going to be a very nice amount. Check the calcs available at some of the sites and you'll see.

2. Joe's right about the converter and Scrub is right about the posters. The converter is a great tool, but in enables the new posters to hand spam, and that sucks.

Windbag Mode Off:

I'm happy you found a real job bison. I love poker, but I know if forced to play for a living, I'd hate it. I'm trying just to play enough (15 hours a week) to make a nice 2nd income and it's a drag that taxes my ability to enjoy the game. You give so much of youself on these forums it's nice to see that you'll get a little bit of your enjoyment for the game back.

Question:

Are you behind in updating the donor list, or are 2+2ers really a bunch of cheap bastards?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM

Congratulation to the jobb!!!

I understand completly why you want a jobb instead of playing as a pro... I rather have a social life at work with a steady income than siting at a computer and play all day long and not meat anybody. Even if you might have made more money playing poker.

I myself use poker as an extra income while I study. But it is hard since it take a lot of my brain capacity to play that should be used in school. I will love the day I take my exam, get a jobb and can have poker as a nice hobby which might make me a extra cent just to have fun with!

Have fun at the work and good luck!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:16 PM

A similar question has been answered but not my specific question.

When I first started reading this forum seriously your replies had already degraded to “bet the flop, raise the turn” with no explanation on a fairly frequent basis. I in my own mind began foretelling burnout. When your number of posts began to plummet it was more evidence for my “imaginary case.”

Since my crystal ball is running good it is also my “sense” that a large part of your burnout was caused by not moving up in limits. Persons who are above average in intelligence, creativity, speed of learning, observance, objective thinking and are analytical tend to require more challenges and changes of pace than others who are sub standard in these qualities. Of course, I don’t know which, if any, of these qualities suit you but I would guess many if not all of these qualities describe you.

How much consideration did you put into the fact that if you would have set a goal of achieving a BR to play at a higher limit or a new game (SH for example) it could have possibly rejuvenated your situation and in turn increased your income? I’m sure you did consider this, so what made you decide not to take on a “new” challenge but instead opt for a traditional approach to making a living?

On what side of the fence do you stand regarding the “Poker is a fad/Poker is here to stay” debate and your reasons for this stance?

You’re in the BB holding AQo and there are five limpers. What is your action? Do you see why? And is it even close?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:02 PM

Default I\'m an idiot

I have been informed that an Alsatian and a German Shepherd are the same thing, so I stand corrected. You learn something new every day!
Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 PM

was HE the only game you played? or was there other games you also used to grind out a living?

melch
Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Ok, I have a question about variance. I'm curious to know how big the swings can be month to month from someone who has played as much as you. If 'n' represents your average month, can you tell us what your best and worst months were in terms of 'n' (not including bonuses)? Thanks bro!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:19 PM

Bison, congrats on your success! Thanks for everything you've done for the forums, including this thread too. Best of luck at Google.