Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Knowing vs doing

There is a huge difference between knowledge and application. If you took all of the buissness and economics professors from Havard university and put them together they couldent beat any decent individual investor. Warren Buffett said it best "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken."
Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 AM

LIke my favorite Uncle told me once, " Do as I say, not as I do."
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM

My bet is that, if you were able to play LOTS of hands by playing tight, you would have no problem changing. I think the difficulty is boredom waiting for a decent pocket. Thanks to others on this forum, I have been "cured" by their suggeston to multitable. The boredom has disappeared.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: weakness of the will

Socrates denied that anyone could act against their better judgement.

In any case, you probably don't play tight because acting on your impulses or inclinations is what you normally do in life. Tight players play tight for one of two reasons. Either they're scared of risk and playing tight is a natural extension of their everyday habits, or they exercise a lot of self-discipline and accept the consequences (lots and lots of folding) because winning is almost all that matters to them.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Hi, Stuey. Welcome to the forum. IMO the reason it's hard to consistently play TAG is that it is no where near as fun as LAG. TAG often means folding hand after hand. A LAG is probably playing twice as many hands as a TAG. It's more exciting, you're more involved in the game, more emotionally charged. Plus, more of your investments are higher risk gambles. Will you fill that gut shot and crack his big pair to haul down a big pot? How exciting! Who cares if it's negative expectation? TAG can be BORING. I've not played a hand for as long as 3 hours. Ugh. But all I was getting was low end rags and the occasional small suited connector out of position. I may know I'm playing correctly, but it can be very hard and dull, plus I start getting dull-minded due to all the inaction.

So, my suggestion is that it has little to do with knowledge and lots to do with emotion. Playing loose feels good. But it may come down to cultivating an ability to defer gratification. Go for the long term fulfillment of making more money rather than the thrill of action. FWIW.