Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Is this a losing streak or do I all of a sudden suck?

Yeah, thanks. I did make the move to 3/6 which is somewhat tougher then 2/4 for these 30k hands and untill the last 3k it was darn close to that that 3bb/100 2/4 winrate.

Im well read in the department of bad runs from these boards. Ive seen plenty of posts about the 200b downswings, needing 300bb bankroll etc. Its just when you finally hit one thats lasting over 3k hands and counting, you begin to question everything about your game, depite everyting else you know.

I've had bad runs at 1/2 and 2/4 and even $25 NL into the low hundreds of dollars wich never seemed that bad with bonuses and all. This ones a killer though at over $900. Ive built up a roll of well over $10k in various sites even after multiple cashouts so Im not worried about that.

Im just kinda looking for some other players stats to compare too. And to maybe to find out if Im not good enough for 3/6 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Particularly the Won$atSD one.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:22 AM

You made exactly the same post I almost made a week ago...

Had a couple of freaky streaks in Feb myself and was also wondering if I'd managed to bork over my game at some point. After running consistently in the 2.5-3.5BB/100 range over 25K hands through Dec/Jan, I tanked it to the tune of -210BB from 2/9-2/17 then all of a sudden have a +200BB run from 2/18-2/21. So instead of lots of little swings evening out over the course of the month, I went full one direction then the other.

One thing to point out though is that although I was mostly getting decked pretty badly in early Feb, I also took it as an opportunity to really dig into what was going on. Found out that while suckouts were happening way more often than usual, I had also had some weak elements creep back into my game and was checking the river way too often (feeling snakebit and not wanting to lose more money since I was rarely winning a hand) instead of getting that last bet or two in a hand that had adequate pot equity. So while most of my run was from bad cards, a sizeable part of the problem was that on the rare instances where I was winning, I wasn't making that extra 1-2BB and that really adds up.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:24 AM

3k hands is a speed bumb.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 AM

everybody loses at some point, often those losing streaks run together.

when it happens to me I cash out a big portion of my bankroll from the site, take a week or so off of poker (ok sometimes only 2 days) and refocus, usually if i'm losing it's because I've been playing too often or trying to play poker on a 3 hour a night budget of time rather than a full 7 to 8 hour session.

later days-
Old 02-22-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am one of those VPIP 10% players

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Outs,

What longterm winrate do you think is achievable with so a low VP$IP? Also how high a limit do you think you can play this tight and still be a winner?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:29 PM

The best thing you can do is post some hands in the small stakes forum.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3k hands is a speed bumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, get back to us when you still haven't improved over 20k hands.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:54 PM

Losing streak? This is a glitch. I wouldn't really complain here about a 150BB streak over 3k hands. Is that stripsqueez I hear coming?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 PM

I know a lot of the oldtimers have replied and told you not to worry about it, but I just want to say thanks for posting this. I've been experiencing something similar recently (-180BB), and it's just good to be reminded that it happens to everybody.
True, maybe I just suck at poker. But reading your post and all the replies allows me to see that my not sucking is still a possibility. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-web
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"VPIP 10%"

I don't know where you're playing or who you're playing with but unless you are playing in a rock garden this is way to tight. I think the "zone" has been quoted as being in the high teens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who makes up this 'zone'. But my real VPIP is 11.91% and my win rate is 1.75BB/100 hands. I 4-8 table depending on my mood and if there is a good movie to watch. Stakes range from 2/4 - 5/10 full ring. This is over a gazillion hands and I've somewhat explained my style here LINK

outs