Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Is a 4-bet on the river here -EV??? SEMI LONG

Background: As some may have read, I signed up for Full Tilt and have been getting good action at the 1/2NL full ring games. The guy in this hand is a good player (from the short time I've seen him play).

I bought in for 1/2 the max buy-in and built my 100 into approximately 430. I have the whole table covered by a LOT except for the villain who has ME covered by about 10-20 bucks.

Earlier in the session, I showed a few minor flop steals with trash because I was playing too tight PF, when I raised PF I wanted the fish to think I was bluffing everytime so I raised PF w/ 72o, 73o, etc, stole the flop, and showed to gain action later........ Villain said "I give you too much credit" at one point. Hmmm does he think I would try to steal against him?

I will elaborate why I did what at each street. PLEASE give opinions.

OK so w/ a stack of about 450 the villain makes it 12 to go from EP (unusually high for villain as the highest PF raise I've seen from him thus far is 8). Folded to me in SB w/ TT. He is very deep and so am I, if I can flop a set, I hope to get at least 100 off him so I call. (I put him on AA or KK).

Flop ($25): JJT

Ok this flop looks damn good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I bet 10 and get a call. I bet less than 1/2 the pot to look fairly weak and to "act" like I'm representing the Jack. I don't think there's a chance he folds AA or KK here to 10bucks.

Turn ($45): JJT6

This undercard again looks good to me, however, I check to further give the impression I took a stab at the flop and came up short, he checks behind. Again, I believe he might do this w/ AA or KK to be cautious of a check-raise from me.

River ($45): JJT67

OK [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] again this looks good. I CHECK the river. I STRONGLY believe someone w/ AA or KK would value bet the river as opposed to checking down (just a LITTLE to weak if he checked it down w/ AA or KK!!).

So I'm hoping to see a small value bet out of him: he bets $20, a value bet if I ever saw one right?? Ok, I don't want him to fold his hand so I make a REALLY wussy reraise to $50. I did this because I still believe he's holding AA or KK and this is just about all he would be willing to make a call w/. BUT, he pops me back w/ a MINRAISE to 80!!!

First thing I think is "he must really think I'm bluffing!" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Now, my MAIN question. DO I RERAISE??? Do I open the door again? I SERIOUSLY and STERNLY do not put him on JT (NOT w/ his PF raise.) Would a 4-bet here just make NO sense or are my hands NEARLY tied behind my back?

I decided to reraise to 200 here, uh....... he pushed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. With almost NO CONFIDENCE AT ALL I said to myself "If he flopped quads here I'm JUST going to have to pay him." uh......I called.......... Is there any chance he DOESN'T have JJ here? Can this "good" player have a worse hand than me here?

If you're wondering what he had, just look at my face... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thank you in advance for your replies......
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Is a 4-bet on the river here -EV??? SEMI LONG

Yeah, I mean. What did you put him on once he pushed when he had so many opportunities to just call? He had to at least consider you for a J, maybe JT yourself or TT. Would AA-QQ push on the end of a paired board when, if you look back on the hand, it seems awefully likely that you are trying to trap?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:15 AM

I probably would've lost my stack there too, but there are a couple of thing I'd like to say:

1. Big raise PF often means middle pair (JJ-99)
2. With a big OP, a lot of times, he would raise the flop
3. With a big OP, he would probably bet the turn
4. He's not going to the felt with just AA-KK here

So basically all of this points scream JJ. I'll explain more later, class.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Let me ask you something. The 200 bet on the river, I'm guessing primary objective of that bet (at least it would be mine) Is to see if if he had the J's. Now if he calls you. (which he wouldn't have, had he not had it, infact he would have folded earlier if he is as good as you said he was) You have the pot, because he didn't have the Jacks. But if he pushes, that tells you what you wanted to know when you made that bet. I know throwing away high boat is a hard thing to do, I've never been in this pickle (not in this context at least) but I feel that this hand could make you realize the difference between a good player and a great one. Next time will you throw it away and rebuild the stack?